We all have days when the feeling of hunger does not seem to disappear, no matter how much food we eat. The problem is that these persistent cravings are the fastest way to derail a healthy diet. There is hope, however. Although all foods contain calories, some contain a lot less than others and you can eat as much as you want without having to lose weight.
Nutritionist Dr. Lisa Young told Insider that these types of foods are all classified as non-starchy fruits and vegetables. They are composed mainly of water, contain few calories and are rich in fiber, which allows you to feel fuller longer. An added benefit is that these foods tend to be filled with vitamins and minerals. So, before reaching the fries, here are seven foods that Young recommends to fill you without causing weight gain:
1. Celery. This vegetable is composed of more than 90% water and contains only six calories per serving. You will also get a good dose of potassium, folic acid, fiber and vitamin K.
2. Kale. Need another reason to load on kale? This superfood contains only 33 calories per cup, but is packed with punch, in the form of fiber, protein, vitamins, folic acid and omega-3 fatty acid.
3. Blueberries. It's official. You can eat these berries at your leisure and not feel guilty. They are low in calories but high in fiber and antioxidants.
4. tomatoes. This versatile fruit can be used in salads, sandwiches, stews or to be eaten alone. The best part is that tomatoes are low in calories (a medium-sized tomato contains about 25 calories) and are full of lycopene that effectively fights disease. A and C, as well as folate, chromium, potassium and fiber.
5. Grapefruit. Avoid sprinkling with sugar and grapefruit makes it a perfect snack. Not only does it contain only 50 calories per grapefruit, it is also rich in vitamin C and fiber.
6. Broccoli. This cruciferous vegetable is full of goodness but contains few calories. One serving will give you a healthy dose of vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as sulforaphane and cancer-fighting fiber, all at 31 calories per serving.
7. Oranges. We all know that this fruit is full of vitamin C and that oranges can contribute to healthy collagen production and prevention of skin damage. An average fruit contains only 80 calories and is full of fiber.
© 2019 Newsmax. All rights reserved.