At a lawsuit, Judge William Alsup, of the US District Court North of California, said the electricity supplier should also explain whether "improper operation or maintenance" PG & E power lines "triggered fires and answered additional questions about the safety of power lines.
The company has until December 31 to submit written responses to federal officials, the document says.
The order comes a few weeks after, in a regulatory file, PG & E revealed that it had "broken down" on an electrical transmission line in Butte County about 15 minutes before the start. from the camp fire on November 8th.
In a statement, PG & E spokesman James Guidi said the company was aware of the filing of the complaint.
"Nothing is more important than the safety of our customers, our employees, our subcontractors and the communities we serve, we are aware of the court's notifications and we are reviewing them. continue to focus on assessing the infrastructure, safely restoring the food in the customers recover and rebuild, "he said.
The company is currently on probation after being convicted on several counts including obstruction of justice following the explosion of a section of the PG & E pipeline in San Bruno, killing eight people and 50 wounded. The explosion destroyed 37 houses.
Last year, the utility had been sentenced to five years probation and a $ 3 million fine, as well as to television ads and in newspapers "advertising the nature of the offenses committed ", according to court documents.