MONTVILLE TOWNSHIP, Ohio – A man died Sunday as a result of a SWAT confrontation initiated as a result of a woman being shot in the head, police said.
Police in the borough of Montville were informed of the incident around 12:45 pm Sunday when a "teenage girl without clothes" ran to a McDonald's on Wooster Pike, according to a press release from the police department. The child told a restaurant employee that she had been assaulted in a block 4700 house in Stockbridge Drive, about a quarter of a mile away.
The child was taken to hospital by a McDonald's employee, the statement said.
While officers were sent to the address of Stockbridge Drive, the police dispatch received a call from the hospital. The child told hospital staff that the same man who assaulted her had also shot a woman to head home, police said.
When the police arrived at the house of Stockbridge Drive, the police dispatch received a call from a man inside the house who said that he had just shot a woman . The police converged on the garage of the house, where they found a man standing next to a woman who appeared to have a bullet wound to the head, police said.
The man refused to comply with police orders and entered the house of Stockbridge Drive, the press release said. The woman was taken out of the garage and looked after in the hospital.
His current state is unknown.
The SWAT team from Medina County was called home after the man burst inside the house and, after three hours of conflict, the man was found dead, the police said.
There were other children at Stockbridge Drive home at the time of the incident, police said. They have not been injured and are currently in a safe place.
Police in the borough of Montville say it is still trying to gather more information and evidence, and the investigation into the incident is "very fluid."
The houses that lined the streets of Montville Township where the shooting took place were clean and new, with manicured lawns and American flags fluttering in the wind. At least three houses on Stockbridge Drive were for sale and the cul-de-sac on the street was still in development.
Several neighbors who spoke to cleveland.com did not wish to say more, they declared themselves shocked and disturbed by the incident. The man and woman who lived at home were calm and unpretentious, they said.
The forces of the order were not present in the calm district when a journalist arrived around 13 hours. Sunday. Three cars remained in the driveway.
All the lights were still lit in the house and the entrance door was closed. Many cars passed slowly past the house while a reporter was in the neighborhood.
Police do not plan to disclose more details about the incident Sunday. A press conference will be held at 1 pm Monday at the Montville Township Police Department, where further information will be provided.
If you would like to comment on this post, please visit cleveland.com section on crimes and courts.