VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI) – Knox County health officials said a worker from a chain of restaurants had been preparing food while he was infected with hepatitis A.
Health officials say that a person who handled food at Buffalo Wild Wings had hepatitis A.
They say the person worked while she was sick or had prepared meals at the restaurant between June 30 and July 1.
Officials stated that if it was rare for someone to be infected with hepatitis A because of a food processor, anyone who would have eaten there during that time should to get vaccinated.
LINK | Health workers investigating a case of hepatitis A in Sullivan
They say that after exposure, you have 14 days left to get sick.
Buffalo Wild Wings in Vincennes was closed while the staff was striving to disinfect the restaurant.
A free vaccination clinic will be held at the Knox County Health Department Immunization Clinic at 305 South 5th Street.
This will happen on July 12th from 7pm to 5pm.
LINK | EDGAR COUNTY HEALTH OFFICIALS CONFIRM FOUR CASES OF HEPATITIS A
If you have been vaccinated in the last 10 years, you do not need to get vaccinated again.
Indiana is experiencing an epidemic of hepatitis A
The Knox County Department of Health said this in a statement –
- Anyone who has consumed food and / or drink at Buffalo Wild Wings on 30/6/19 or 19/01/19 is also invited to:
- Watch for their health status to detect the symptoms of hepatitis A until 50 days after exposure.
- Wash your hands with soap and warm water frequently and thoroughly, especially after using the bathroom and before preparing food.
- Stay home and immediately contact your health care provider if symptoms of hepatitis A infection develop.
- Careful washing of the hands, including under the fingernails, with soap and water, as well as vaccination of anyone at risk of infection, will prevent the spread of this disease.
Hepatitis A is a viral infection of the liver that can cause loss of appetite, nausea, fatigue, fever, stomach pain, brown urine and stool light in color. Yellowing of the skin or eyes may also appear. People can be sick up to 7 weeks after being exposed to the virus.
Hepatitis A usually spreads when a person unknowingly ingests the virus from objects, food or drink contaminated with small, undetected amounts of stool coming from the home. an infected person. The virus spreads when an infected person does not wash their hands properly after using the toilet or adopts behaviors that increase the risk of infection.