Update: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla update 1.004 is now available for download on PS5 and PS4. Its size is approximately 2.6 GB. For the full patch notes, see the rest of the article below.
Original story: As promised by Ubisoft, the next big update for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla arrives tomorrow – it’s November 26, in case you read this at a later date.
The patch notes are predictably huge. Update 1.0.4 promises a lot of improvements to almost everything. Gameplay, visuals, AI, user interface – the lot. When it comes to new features, PS5 gamers can expect a new graphics option. You’ll be able to choose between Performance (60 fps in dynamic 4K – what the game has been running at since launch) and Quality (30 fps at full resolution).
You can find the full patch notes below (warning: they’re really massive).
Patch Notes Assassin’s Creed Valhalla Update 1.0.4
Presentation of the graphics / performance mode
Added an option to the game that allows players to choose between performance or visual quality.
Breakdown of functionalities:
- This option is available for PlayStation 5.
- Choose performance allows the game to adapt the resolution and graphics settings to maintain 60 FPS.
- Choose quality Allows the game to run at maximum resolution and graphics settings while maintaining 30 FPS.
- Added a new background image to the title screen.
- Added various VFX to improve visuals.
- Added an option that will automatically assign all nodes on the path when acquiring a central skill.
- Added rune categories to the runes menu. All runes are now categorized as weapon and armor runes.
- Added a warning when switching from a language that supports TTS to one that does not.
- Cursors can now be moved with left / right arrows on M&K and controllers.
- Increased tissue limit to 82.
- Added fabric to traders once settlement has reached level 6.
- Added requirements for altars to the world map.
- Updating the quality of equipment and equipment to their correct values.
- Added assassination damage stats to the character stats page.
- Duplicate equipment has been removed from inventory.
- Heavy and Light Attack stats will now adjust correctly based on skill nodes acquired.
- Heavy attack modifiers will no longer be applied to ranged attacks.
Performance and stability
- Improved stability and performance.
- Fixed some cases where Load Game would not display saves correctly.
- Renowned Cloud backups to distinguish them from regular backups.
- Previously, cloud backup was only highlighted with a cloud icon. Now they will be called, for example, “Manual Save Cloud”
- Delete Cloud recordings from the Record menu. This will ensure that it cannot be inadvertently overwritten.
- Added notification when a cloud backup recovery failed.
Graphics, audio, animation
- Solved various graphics issues at all levels.
- Resolved various currency exchange issues.
- Fixed various clipping issues.
- Fixed various visual issues with Eivor’s cloak.
- Fixed various animation issues for players or NPCs.
- Fixed various audio issues.
- Fixed various lighting issues.
- Addressed various texture or object placement issues.
- Fixed some cases where the player could get stuck in specific locations.
- Fish in Norway will now spawn in bad weather. Yeah, we must have read this one twice too.
- Crows will no longer drop randomly from the sky in Asgard. * Bad omen, eh? *
Gameplay, Combat, AI
- Fixed various bow aiming issues.
- Improved behavior of NPCs and bosses at all levels.
- NPCs will now react to player theft … so think twice before flying!
- Fixed an issue where dogs would start to levitate when Eivor started petting them.
- Blocking Springald projectiles will now consume stamina as intended.
- Fanatics who have been hit with a Sleep Dart can now be stunned. Sleep well.
- Fanatics will no longer heal when they are near the player.
- Guards who clearly saw Eivor shooting their ally will now become hostile. * press the emergency button *
- The guards will now hear the impact of corpses falling to the ground.
- Improved guard response to whistling.
- Improved disguise behavior in areas of distrust.
- Archery from the longship now consumes arrows.
- Players will now be able to air assassinate sleeping NPCs. *Wild…*
- Improved reeling behavior of fish.
- Fixed an issue where the horse would not use the gallop animation in combat.
- The crowd will now cheer during the drinking games. *You’d do better. *
- Reworked sliding mechanism.
Quests, World Events, Side Events
- Fixed an issue where the assassination sequence would not play for some targets.
- Addressed various texture issues during cutscenes.
- Addressed various issues related to quests or world events that were preventing players from completing them.
- Players can no longer use the Fishing Tool or Horn while Drunk Walking with Tewdr – * you are drunk, go home. *
- Subquests will now display the correct parent quest “Part Of”.
- Memory stream can now be chosen when starting a new game if the Hold Alternative option is set to ON.
- Increased frequency of experienced travelers.
User interface / HUD
- Fixed various issues with UI / HUD.
- Fixed various localization issues.
- Secrets will now be discovered when syncing a point of view. (This does not apply to the Pathfinder difficulty)
- Experienced travelers are now highlighted on the world map and on the compass when they are nearby.
- Fixed an issue where the map would not update after players received information from a seasoned traveler.
- Increased Odin’s sight radius and enemies will now be highlighted for longer.
- Improved the radius in which Synin reveals keys.
- Reduced Synin’s view distance of materials.
- Improvement of the behavior of the objective beam.
- Colony building beams can now be seen using Odin’s Sight.
- Improved the locking mechanics of enemy targets.
- “Sell All Trinkets” will now be grayed out after all trinkets are sold. * Cha Ching! *
- Boss power levels will now be displayed on their health gauge. This does not apply to regular enemies.
- Normal brightness settings will no longer apply to HDR exposure settings.
- Codex will no longer announce or spoil certain events.
- (A11y) Entries and desktop content on Layla’s laptop are now commented out when menu narration is enabled.
- (A11y) Colorblind filters are now applied correctly to the mini-quests log and the raid tutorial.
Capacities and skills
- Fixed an issue where players could no longer use abilities when the Dive of the Valkyries ability was interrupted.
- NPCs or friendly horses can no longer trigger body traps. * Some people just want to see the world burn, eh? *
- Fixed a display issue where the Toxic Powder Trap could become invisible after using Synin.
- Adjusted chain assassination behavior. Players will no longer be able to assassinate a tackled target.
- The secondary hand slot will no longer be available when a two-handed weapon is equipped (dual-use pre-heavy skill).
- Flaming powder traps now explode when stepping on the arrow.
- “Force Open” will now be displayed correctly even if nearby allies are in combat.
- Fixed an issue where allies would not help Eivor open a door during raids.
- Allies will now return to the longship once the raid is over.
- Added a timer until players can restart a raid that just ended.
- The no filter option will now work correctly.
- The Territory panel is no longer displayed in photo mode.
- Editing filters will now work as expected.
- Addressed an issue where an Online Service error could temporarily occur when viewing photos on the world map.
- Snow FX will now focus on the camera instead of the player in photo mode.
- Added additional checkpoints to some boss fights.
- Fixed an issue that caused controllers to vibrate constantly.
- Fixed an issue where players could get stuck on a black screen after closing the menu with start.
We’ll update this article once the patch is available for download, but until then let us know if you’re still exploring medieval England in the comments section below.