What has marked the weekly press conference from Bill Self to Lawrence? We have the last one.
1) Bill Self, at his weekly press conference on Thursday, was asked to indicate whether the loss of Oklahoma State 's overtime in Texas Tech Wednesday had drawn the attention of his team:
"I hope this is not the only reason they would grab our attention.Hope that the scale of the game for us (in our attention) .Every game is a great match in a race. We still have to do it (Stillwater) We did not do very well there, that does not seem to be the case, and the way they played last night I did not I still saw the match, but I saw the last 15 minutes live, they (Oklahoma State) played very well and to see them play in this game and have a chance to win it, I think they missed the two-point ball and missed a three-pointer in regulation time, about 20 seconds from the end.But see how they clashed and rethink to three days. We were not even in the game (at Texas Tech), we know it will be a difficult challenge for us. "
2) Self, when asked if this team had the potential to be one of his best defensives, had this to say:
"I think that in time we'll be fine, we've been good enough in this respect the vast majority of my years here, if you go back to the early years, we probably have been as good a defensive team as in country, year This team is not there yet, now if we continue to improve and stay together we can do it If you play with so many young guys, it's probably not not as realistic to think that they might look like Tyshawn (Taylor) as an elder and Jeff Withey as an elder and that sort of thing, but we're definitely going in a positive direction. "
3) Which individuals, if any, have risen most defensively, according to their own self?
"If you have Marcus (Garrett) and Devon (Dotson) here, you'll have two of the top three defensemen in our league every night, if you have them together, I do not think anyone can deny that, and that's Is a Marcus in good health I would say that Devon, with regard to comprehension, spacing, angles and all these things, he is probably the one who has progressed the most.
4) While Kansas will face the Oklahoma State in Stillwater on Saturday, Marcus Garrett is about to return to 100% after his ankle injury Feb. 1:
"No. He may be 85 or 90%." He still can not jump from his left leg and he's a jumper in his left leg, he's playing all of his left leg for the most part. do not be 100% before the end of the season but he is out and trying. "
5) Self was asked about the Devon Dotson slowdown, hitting a wall in the first year, but now turn it back on:
"I do not think Devon hit a wall, unless you equate the wall with maybe less performance or something like that, I did not see him slow down at all, and he did not He has not done so much, and he spends as much time in the gym as everyone has been here for a long time. "
6) Asked about the keys to getting better performance on the road (at Oklahoma State) on Saturday, Self has a lot to say:
"There are a lot of keys, the 11 o'clock start, the energy and the waking will probably be very important, we can not let these fencers see themselves naked because they will make them up. (Cameron) McGriff has always played well against us and we need a way to compensate him, to play by the glass, etc. We have to attack different defense systems.There are many keys, but in general If speaking of intangibles, I would say to be awake and have a team energy comparable to that of the other evening (vs Kansas State), even if it did not take the road this year. We were good at Baylor to be up to 20 with four minutes remaining, it was good, then we were late, there were good things that happened there, and (to) TCU, our energy was better and that sort of thing, yet it was not a comparable energy, what we had the other night. It was more of a worker-type energy and we performed a little better. So we will have to do that. "
7) One touches oneself if the mentality of "back against the wall" could bring out more energy:
May be. We did not talk much about it, but our back is against the wall. It will be against the wall until the end of the regular season, and everyone is against the playoff wall because it's potentially a and it's done. I would say that if necessary, it should bring out a sense of urgency that has not been very consistent, especially at conferences.
8) What type of emergency, if any, did Self see against Kansas State on February 25th:
"Oh my goodness, I saw a ton of it, and everyone who watched had a different type of energy team." It did not matter that it seemed like we played well, while we did not play as well. Well, they do not play well at all, on the offensive.It's the key here.This is seen more on the defensive end than on anything else.K-State is very proud to do it to people.We knew that they would be a hard team to score 75 points, whatever, then you will have to really lock yourself in and protect yourself.They have kept us well, we have had enough of 'offensive because our defense was very good.'
9) Who should win the Big 12 Player of the Year: "My personal opinion this year is that the winning team should win the trophy, the player should receive the trophy from the winning team, and I do not think anyone has As last year, Trae (Young) and Devontae 's (Graham) split up, they were two teams of American stars.This year we will not have that in our league.You'lln't have several teams of American stars.Although you had four guys who had incredible seasons.For me, the separation is lower than what it was "He does not miss the fact of not playing with great players from the past with other teams:" No, not at all. "I'm joking, I think there are some guys who play for other teams and who appreciate their competitiveness.George Niang and Monte Morris (State of Iowa), I loved to play against them.They discussed always have the air in. But there are not many guys in the league with whom I do this personally. When Blake (Griffin) and Kevin (Durant)) and Michael (Beasley) are all gone, you miss the opportunity to compete with these guys every year, even if that's why their competitiveness is missing. they were the best that our sport can offer. Dean (Wade), Barry (Brown) and (Kamau) Stokes will not be missed. They were very good players for K-State and they represented their school in an extraordinary way, and all those things, but I do not think anyone in our league missed Perry (Ellis) when he left. his time to leave, even if he had been here for 17 years, I think. "
10) According to Self, nothing has changed with Lagerald Vick
"There was no change."
11) Self, without a doubt, has seen a lot of changes with his training this season:
"Last year, we started the season with seven guys, three guys stayed out, two or three guys were not eligible, Sam (Cunliffe) was not there. not yet eligible, Silivo (De Sousa) was not there yet, Billy (Preston) was not playing.It was hard to know that we had only seven guys for a long time.We also had the chance to not get hurt last year. "Losing Doke (Azubuike) is a big blow and everyone talks about Udoka being the best basketball team in college basketball. think it would win if there was a dispute about it.We are talking about back to basics, basket, true five, back to cart.There are not so many now.You base your business on him, then Dedric (Lawson), our best smuggler.Of course, Doke can catch lobs and do some things, so it's a big part of what we did, we had to change the way we play. And then we got it back, we changed back. We lose it again, then we go back. en we ended up exhausted at the guard post, then we came back. We had some changes this year, but our children have resisted well. I think they did a good job. This year has sometimes been frustrating, but I will be honest with you, I have not been frustrated here lately. I'm not frustrated by (Texas) Tech, and I know fans may not want to hear that, but I thought we had tried and I thought when we got a punch in the mouth we We did not react in an excellent way. (The Texas Tech players) were all so great. Give them credit. Even though I was disappointed, it was not because of the preparation or anything of the sort, but because they were just better than the day, much better. The way they reacted Monday with a short rest, I could not be more proud of our guys for what they were. We are counting on guys for whom we did not have much expectations for the season. I think they've done well, but certainly whoever is out there has to deliver. There are no excuses, no matter who does not play, who plays, who is stung or who does not, you must deliver when you are outside. This has been a challenge for this group, but I do not think they have apologized for it. I think that they have handled it very well. "