Billionaire Sheldon Adelson Has Cancer and Seeks Treatment



[ad_1]

LAS VEGAS (AP) – Casino magnate and GOP donor Sheldon Adelson has been diagnosed with cancer and has not worked in his Las Vegas office since Christmas Day.

Adelson's health was revealed earlier this week by one of his company's lawyers during a court hearing in a multi-year affair brought by a Hong businessman. Kong. The founder and CEO of Las Vegas Sands Corp. did not participate in the casino operator's conference call with analysts and investors after the release of its earnings report in January.

Lawyer James Jimmerson told the court on Monday that he had learned last month "about the disastrous nature of Mr. Adelson's health condition." Independent Nevada.

Las Vegas Sands Corp. said Thursday at the Associated Press that Adelson had cancer.

"Mr. Adelson still faces some of the side effects of the medications he is taking for the treatment of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma," Ron Reese spokesman said in a statement sent by email Thursday night. have limited their availability to travel or to keep regular office hours. "

The consequences did not stop Adelson, 85, from fulfilling his role as President and CEO, Reese said. The company expects that it will come back once the treatment is completed.

Adelson also suffers from peripheral neuropathy, a disease that affects the nervous system.

The billionaire and his wife, Miriam, donated $ 30 million to President Donald Trump's campaign in 2016. They then donated $ 100 million to the Republican Party for the 2018 mid-term elections.

Adelson is the largest shareholder in Las Vegas Sands and regularly participates in calls for company results, but was absent when he published his results on January 23. Sands president Robert Goldstein said Adelson was "a little under the weather".

"We met him yesterday," Goldstein said of Adelson during the January call. "He is taking drugs making him a bit sleepy, so he decided this morning to do a rain test for this one."

GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Adelson was to testify in the case brought by Hong Kong businessman Richard Suen and his company, Round Square Co. He had testified in 2013 and 2008 in the two previous trials.

Suen sought compensation because he said he helped Sands secure his business in the Macau Chinese Games enclave. Sands explained that Suen had not helped get a crucial approval for the construction of casinos in Macau and that he deserved nothing.

[ad_2]
Source link