The results were too close to be announced Tuesday night in the Recall Election for Governor of California, but the first numbers suggested Governor Gavin Newsom would probably retain his position as governor of the state.
- The recall election asked voters to vote whether or not to recall Newsom. A majority of “yes” votes would remind Newsom. A majority of “no” would keep him in office.
- The vote “no” conducted early Tuesday evening. All signs were that Newsom was keeping his place. It looked like Newsom would keep his post as vote “no” conducted all evening, even with 50% of the votes.
- Even on Tuesday afternoon, the Newsom team reportedly felt confident in the results, seeing clear skies for the win.
I’ve seen enough: the vote to recall Governor CA Gavin Newsom (R) fails.
– Dave Wasserman (@District) September 15, 2021
Why did California hold a recall election?
The recall effort to oust Newsom has been around since February 2020. By KABC, the recall idea was born before the coronavirus pandemic. A petition has been filed to dismiss the governor because of the laws “he approved in favor of foreign nationals, in our country illegally, compared to that of our own citizens”, by KABC.
Who ran against Gavin Newsom in the California recall election?
Several celebrities have tried to run against him. Vicki Gunvalson, star of “Real Housewives”the fiancé of, Steve lodge, said he would run against Newsroom. Likewise, fame Caitlyn jenner decided to compete for the place, too.
- Elder said Ronald Reagan has long been a source of inspiration. Elder led the field of contenders to replace Newsom, a group that included 46 candidates.
Are other US governors facing recall elections?
Newsom is not the only governor face a recall election. In fact, there have been 164 recall efforts for national and local elected officials across the country. Newsom is one of six governors who have been the subject of recall attempts against them since 2020.
- Currently, there is an attempt to oust Republican Gov. Doug Burgum and Lt. Gov. Brent Sanford in North Dakota, according to the Deseret News.
- The leaders of Alaska, Arizona, Louisiana, Michigan and Washington have also faced recall efforts like Newsom. None succeeded.