The Democratic presidential candidate, Cory Booker, told Sunday to the press that he would refrain from any judgment on the alleged attack on the "actor" of the Empire " Jussie Smollett after describing the incident as "attempted lynching in modern times" in his first report last month.
"I will hold back until all the information comes from registered sources," said the New Jersey senator after a meeting with voters in Rochester, NH. "We know America that coarse and biased attacks are rising dramatically, and we even know in our country that since September 11th, the majority of terrorist attacks on our soil are right-wing terrorist attacks – the majority of them are attacks of white supremacy. "
Booker cited the deadly murder at a Pittsburgh synagogue last October, as well as that committed in June 2015 in a historically black church in Charleston, S.C.
"What we see is attacks on people because they are different and we must all come together to condemn these attacks, along with the hatred and fanaticism that inspired them," said Booker.
Smollett, who is black and openly gay, claimed to have been attacked by two masked men early on Jan. 29 as he was traveling to his Chicago apartment from a Subway restaurant. Smollett said he was assaulted by two masked men who shouted racial and anti-gay insults.
"NEW WITNESSES" urges the release of two men interviewed in the case JUSSIE SMOLLETT, CHICAGO PD
A few hours after the announcement of the attack, Booker tweeted: "The violent attack on actor Jussie Smollett was an attempt at modern lynching, and I am happy that it is safe." In the same message, Booker advocated the passing of a law making lynching a federal hate crime.
Last week, Chicago police interrogated two Nigerian brothers during the attack that was reported, but released them on Friday without charges. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the couple had given police officers information that "changed the trajectory of the investigation" and confirmed that the police had asked Smollett's lawyer to request a follow-up interview.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Guglielmi also said that local information that the attack was a hoax had not been confirmed.
"Although we are unable to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what has been unofficially published," commented Guglielmi on Twitter, "there have been developments in this investigation and the detectives have some sequels. to complete, including interviews with the person who reported the incident. "