David Ortiz, accused of complicity in attempted murder, shot dead in shootout of Red Sox star



[ad_1]

A man arrested in connection with the murder of the famous rapper of the Red Sox David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic over the weekend has been charged with complicity in attempted murder, said a spokesman of the prosecutor's office Tuesday.

The public prosecutor of Santo Domingo East said in a statement that he was trying to maintain Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, who, according to authorities, was arrested at the scene of the shooting Sunday night at the Dial Bar and Lounge, in East of the city. . Police said he had been beaten by several bar patrons after the shooting.

Some previous reports had identified Garcia as the alleged gunman, but Tuesday's statement does not say that Garcia is accused of having fired the single bullet from behind, which injured Ortiz, 43, known as name "Big Papi", and that hurt a former Red Sox television host.

Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, in custody for shooting former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, is transferred by police to a court in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on June 11, 2019.Erika Santelices / AFP – Getty Images

A spokeswoman for the National Prosecutor's Office also reportedly told reporters via WhatsApp that there had been a second arrest, but there was nothing to indicate that the person arrested was the alleged gunman, according to the Associated. Press.

The police said that two men were on motorbikes and one of them shot Ortiz. Garcia was captured by bar patrons and beaten before being handed over to the police, while the other escaped on foot.

Garcia's family told NBC Boston that he was a fan of Ortiz and had nothing to do with the shooting.

His attorney, Deivi Solano, said that Garcia had no idea who he was picking up or what was going to happen when he would be arrested for taking a plane ticket, reported the # 39; AP.

"He did not know what they were going to do, he's a fan of David," Solano said.

A motive in the shootout is not clear. Ortiz, a native of the Dominican Republic, was repatriated to Boston on Monday by plane and is treated at the Massachusetts General Hospital.

Ortiz spokesman Leo Lopez said on Tuesday that the baseball star was doing well after the surgery and that "He walks, a few steps this morning, but step by step."

"We are very excited about this because the day of surgery is just one day after the surgery," said Lopez.

The wife of Ortiz, Tiffany Ortiz, said in a statement issued by the Red Sox that he had undergone a second surgery in Boston and that he "was stable, awake and rested comfortably. "

She added that her husband should stay in the intensive care unit for several days. A few days after the shooting, surgeons had his gallbladder and part of his bowel removed.

Ortiz played 20 seasons in Major League Baseball, including 14 with the Red Sox. He led the team to World Series titles in 2004, 2007 and 2013. This title in 2004 was the first world championship in Boston since 1918.

The baseball star was widely praised for a speech he delivered at Fenway Park a few days after the Boston Marathon bombing, in which he said: "This is our city ​​(delirious), and no one will dictate our freedom! Stay strong! "

The Red Sox have announced that they would offer all the resources available to his family to help him recover.

The Dominican public prosecutor said Tuesday night in his statement that other people likely to be in contact with the shooting were identified.

The national police and the national police would work tirelessly to shed light on what was happening and to hold those responsible accountable.

[ad_2]

Source link