Posted at 18:50 ET on 18 June 2019 |
A surveillance video seems to show a person shooting at the back of former Boston Red Sox hitter, David Ortiz, in a bar in the Dominican Republic. A previous version of this video misidentified Ortiz.
UNITED STATES TODAY & # 39; HUI
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) – Dominican authorities on Monday identified the man who, according to them, would have been paid to hit David Ortiz, and confessed that they were getting closer to the brain and the motive of the firing of the famous rapper who was recovering at a hospital in Boston.
The man was identified as being Alberto Miguel Rodriguez Mota, who, according to authorities, is a fugitive. The announcement was made while a judge was holding an in camera hearing on behalf of another suspect nicknamed "Bone." Officials have not revealed the details, but according to court documents obtained by the Associated Press, the man, whose real name is Gabriel Alexánder Pérez Vizcaíno. , is accused of being the link between the alleged culprits and the person who paid them.
David Ortiz will remain in the hospital for several days. (Photo: Bob DeChiara, USA TODAY Sports)
The documents indicate that a man jailed for an unrelated affair contacted Pérez for alleged work a week before the 9 June shooting in a bar in Santo Domingo and sent him a photo of the target to share with hit him men.
Perez reportedly shared the photo with the other suspects who gathered at a nearby gas station a few minutes before the shooting. Officials did not specify if the photo was Ortiz's.
The documents also indicate that Pérez sold a gold-colored iPhone 6 used to plan the attack to a woman at a price of $ 180, in order to be able to get rid of such evidence a day after the shooting. The authorities claimed that the phone was causing him problems and that is why he sold it.
"He did this by discovering that the police were looking for him," says the document.
Pérez's lawyer did not comment when leaving the courtroom after the hearing while the police had taken away the suspect, who was wearing a red t-shirt, a protective jacket and a helmet. He did not talk to reporters.
DAVID ORTIZ: From grandpa to big brother
DOMIINCAN: The privileged relationship of Ortiz with his country of origin
The 24-year-old suspect is one of ten detainees arrested by the authorities. They are looking for at least two other people mentioned in court documents, including the man accused of paying the suspects.
Ortiz's lawyer, José Martinez Hoepelman, said he was satisfied with the progress of the investigation.
"Trust the authorities," he said. "They have worked tirelessly to achieve the results we have achieved so far. We all want more information, but we have to wait. "
Police said that the coordinator of the attack had been offered 400,000 Dominican pesos, or about $ 7,800, to orchestrate Ortiz's shooting, known as the Big Papi.
He led the Red Sox to three world championships, was a star player 10 times and hit 541 home runs.
Ortiz lives in Boston but visits the Dominican Republic several times a year.
The doctors removed his gall bladder and part of his intestines before he flew to Boston, where he remained in intensive care at Massachusetts General Hospital.