UFC light weight Dustin Poirier campaigned almost nonstop for a big fight. Now he's looking for the exit door.
Poirier, 30, has called for his release Wednesday after several months of inactivity and frustration laid bare by social media.
"These guys should just free me" tweeted.
In a text message addressed to MMAjunkie, Poirier confirmed his desire to be released and a claim for lump sum payment to fight Al Iaquinta at UFC 236, although he added that no official offer was made by the promotion of April 13th. see the event.
Asked about promotions likely to host him, including Bellator, Rizin FF and ONE Championship, Poirier added: "Anywhere."
Iaquinta said Tuesday at "UFC Unfiltered" that the UFC was trying to block him against Pear and that financial constraints were an obstacle.
"I hope the UFC can get their hands dirty and make them happy to fight," Iaquinta said. "Because after what I've heard, it will be Conor (McGregor) and (Donald) 'Cowboy' (Cerrone) in the summer, (and) Max Holloway is going out (of weight feather) to fight (Tony) Ferguson for an interim belt. So that leaves us, him and me.
Poirier was all smiles last March after signing a new UFC contract with "championship language" and an exceptional salary increase. He said that he wanted to retire with the promotion. But after winning two straight victories against former champions Justin Gaethje and Eddie Alvarez, Poirier was increasingly frustrated with his inability to get a shot at the UFC title or big fight.
In January, Poirier issued an ultimatum to the promotion, saying that he would only accept a rematch against Conor McGregor – who had defeated him in 2014 as a featherweight – or former interim champion Tony Ferguson. He also wanted a new contract.
Just last week, Poirier said he was in the dark about his future. Now that things seem to be in place, he wants to get out.
To learn more about the UFC's upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section on the site.