Under pressure from the Academy, Fisher-Price has recalled 4.7 million rock & n play
sleepers of infants following reports of infant deaths.
"I am delighted that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Fisher-Price
took the advice of the American Academy of Pediatrics and issued a reminder of The Rock
"N Play Sleeper," said Ben Hoffman, MD, FAAP, chairman of AAP's injury board,
Prevention of violence and poison. "This product is dangerous and I urge parents and
caregivers to stop using it immediately. "
This recall follows a Consumer Reports survey that revealed that 32 infants had died using the bed since 2011. Some of the infants
rolled on themselves without restraint and some were unable to breathe because of their position.
Citing this report, the PAA called on the CPSC to remove the product from the tablets and to
urged parents to stop using it.
"When parents buy a product for their baby or child, many assume that if
sold in a store, its use must be safe. Unfortunately, this is not the case »
PAA President Kyle E. Yasuda, MD, FAAP, said in a press release on April 9. "There is compelling evidence that the Rock 'n Play inclined sleeper puts infants on the go"
people at risk, and the CPSC needs to step in and take immediate action to remove it from the stores
and prevent new tragedies. "
In announcing the recall a few days later, the CPSC said it was also investigating similar cases.
products and encouraged consumers to report incidents to SaferProducts.gov.
PAA does not recommend letting babies sleep in sloped products like Rock
'N Games that require retaining a baby. AAP policy requires babies to sleep on their backs on a separate, flat and firm sleep surface without
bumpers, bedding or stuffed toys.
"As a pediatrician and family man, I know that newborns sleep is a major concern of families.
and pediatricians are willing to work with as many parents as possible to find solutions
help everyone sleep safe and sound, "said Dr. Hoffman. "We know that inclined
Sleepers like Rock 'n Play are not safe and put baby's lives at risk. I am happy
to see this product out of the market and encourage all parents to talk to their pediatricians
on how to keep their babies safe during sleep and at all times. "