20:04 PDT 13/12/2019
The appearance of electric sparks caused a short delay before the resumption of the film.
At the world premiere of Fast furious spin off Hobbs & Shaw in Los Angeles on Saturday night, the projection was forced to stop when electric sparks invaded the public.
According to one participant, "sparks started coming from the ground in the center of the orchestra, they stopped the film, security was called to watch it because the audience members sitting in this section quickly got up" . The sparks were heard as a series of glittering noises, followed by a flash of light that, according to one participant, was "the size of a fist".
After the initial confusion, a safety officer stated THR this a soft drink was spilled on an electrical outlet on the ground, leading to sparks. The movie was stopped and the lights in the house went on. People remained calm, including Idris Elba and producer Chris Morgan, although a few rows stood. Nobody left the theater.
The electric panic occurred in rows H and J. When people started to get up and leave their rows, the rest of the theater followed suit.
"Alright guys, it was weird," director David Leitch told the audience before the movie began. "It was an accident," he said, adding that the incident involved a beverage in an electrical box. He went on to say that everything was being cleaned up and that screening would continue.
Moments later, Dwayne Johnson took the stage. "When things apparently started to go bad and everyone came out of the theater, just for the recording, I was standing there," he said. "I stayed."
Along with the director, Johnson also assured members of the audience that the film would continue.
The delay lasted only 15 minutes before the film resumes the screening before a restless public.
– Rebecca Ford (@Beccamford) July 14, 2019
July 13, 8:15 pm: Correction of an earlier version of this story that said that the first was in New York.