Kia spends a year and unveils her Soul Soul 2020 at the 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show.
The manufacturer's flagship electric vehicle adds the same 64kWh battery as the Niro EV to bring the Soul EV's range to over 200km.
Kia did not want to confirm the actual range with the new battery pack and said instead that it would "vary depending on the conditions", but it is likely that the number of kilometers traveled will depend on the number of kilometers traveled. an EPA cycle.
It should easily double the current usage range of the current version.
The battery is not the only update of the Kia Soul EV 2020.
It is also equipped with a new 201 horsepower electric motor developing 291 lb-ft. torque and the combined charging system (CCS), fast DC charging becomes standard equipment on the vehicle.
They did not confirm the billing rate with CCS.
In terms of design, it also benefits from a slight update with a dashboard and a rear bumper refreshed.
Here are some press images published today:
2020 Soul EV
2020 Soul EV
The vehicle is expected to come into production in the second half of next year for the 2020 model year.
Like the current version, its availability should be limited.
Here is Kia's full press release:
THE NEW KIA SOUL EV 2020 COMBINES A VIBE SOUL-FUL WITH AN ELECTRICAL BUZZ
Too cool and electric too
- Ultra-popular urban runabout of new generation, available again with battery power only
- Powered by a 64 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery with advanced liquid cooling
- Charging system CCS (CCS) with quick charge as standard equipment1
- 201 horsepower electric motor with 291 lb-ft of torque
LOS ANGELES, November 28, 2018 – Today, Kia Motors America (KMA) presents the 2020 Soul, a brand new version of Kia's award-winning, award-winning, award-winning compact utility vehicle. Parallel to this world premiere, the fully electric and battery powered EV EV was also unveiled. Equally original, fun and fun to please the crowd, the Soul EV gives soul lovers the opportunity to drive without having to refuel.
A much better battery
The new Soul EV is equipped with a new, state-of-the-art, 64kWh, liquid-cooled, lithium-ion polymer battery, which is expected to significantly reduce the daily charge requirements, as well as reduce energy consumption. with the DC Charging Function of the Combined Charging System (CCS)2 As standard equipment, battery recharges must be brief so that the pleasure of traveling on the road can continue after a short break.
The new battery is currently being tested to accurately determine the range estimated by the EPA. Results are expected early in 2019 and will be announced at a later date.
Driving Dynamics – Soul EV is more fun than ever
The Soul EV has always provided a kind of magic treadmill, moving silently with seemingly effortless traction. Now with 201 horsepower and 291 lb-ft. couple (way from 210 ft-lb. in the outgoing model), the drivers will feel like a virtual Aladdin. Handling and driving dynamics are also significantly improved with the addition of the independent rear suspension. The new Soul EV also provides drivers with many tools to customize their driving experience and battery usage, including:
- Four driving modes – Eco, Comfort, Sport and Eco + – that automatically adjust the power delivered to the traction motor, the regenerative braking, air conditioning and heating parameters and set speed limits to help manage the engine. operating efficiency3 according to the driving conditions
- The intelligent recuperative braking operated via shift paddles gives drivers the ability to slow down the car and capture kinetic energy, which adds greater autonomy. Drivers can choose from four levels of regenerative braking (0 to 3) depending on the desired driving flexibility, fun and efficiency
- The braking and holding system allows the shift knob to stop the car at a complete stop4
- The Smart Regen system adjusts the level of regenerative braking based on the vehicle detected in front of the Soul EV and creates a smoother ride on the hill, especially in steep descents.5
- The Smart Guide Pedal Guide display on the dashboard informs the driver of the battery usage in real time based on the input of the accelerator pedal
HIGHLIGHT – SOUL AND SOUL EV – WHAT IS THE DIFF?
The 2020 Soul is brand new with a refreshed exterior that stays true to its square origins – a distinctive look loved by legions of fans. The new Soul EV is built with the same architecture, but with a unique style that gives the car its own style:
- Restyled front and rear bumper fairings
- Front full grille with loading door located on the driver's side
- LED headlamps strikingly integrated into the transverse upper front of the car
- Unique fog lights
- Exclusive 17-inch five-spoke EV alloy wheels
Technology adapted to a modern vehicle
The Soul EV has a long list of advanced features to enhance safety, improve driving experience and provide ease of use and ownership. Kia engineers and designers have thought of everything. Each Soul EV includes a suite of advanced "Kia Drive Wise" driving assistance systems, as well as a long list of standard and optional features, the highlights of which are listed below.
- High-tech rotary shifter (shift-by-wire)
- 10.25 inch color touch screen6 with rear view monitor7 and parking guidance
- 6-speaker audio system (AM / FM / SiriusXM)8 with USB input
- Steering wheel mounted audio controls
- Apple CarPlay9 and Android Autoten
- Bluetooth11 wireless connectivity with voice recognition
- 7 airbags12 (two advanced front air bags, two side-mounted side air bags, curtain air curtain with rollover sensor, driver's side knee airbag)
- Vehicle safety systems13
- Anti-lock braking
- Traction control
- Electronic stability control
- Hill start aid
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Pedestrian warning system
- Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) "Kia Drive Wise"14
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Help with collision avoidance before (FCA)
- Lane Departure Notice (LDW)
- Lane Keeping Aid (LKA)
- Warning of the driver's attention (DAW)15
- Intelligent cruise control with Stop & Go
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BSW) (available)
- Rear Traffic Collision Warning (available)
- Parking Distance Warning – Inverse Only (Available)
New for Soul EV: a revamped UVO16 Telematics system that allows owners to monitor and control a long list of vehicle operations, including:
- Notification of the status of the battery and charging
- Update the charging station in real time
- Scheduled load
- Panic Notifications – The vehicle will send a notification to the server if the panic alarm is triggered and the system calls the 911 emergency services, provides the position of the car via GPS and opens a live microphone so that rescuers can communicate with the occupants of the vehicle.
- Points of Interest and Send2Car Waypoints – Owners can plan a route with waypoints and send it to the vehicle's navigation system.
Made in Korea and a soul with a lot more
Built at the Gwangju factory in Korea, the Soul EV is expected to go on sale next year. Prices will be announced closer to the date of sale. Buyers can choose from two versions, the Soul EV and the Soul EV Designer Collection. Supporting its highly sophisticated name, the Designer Collection brings together all the strengths of Soul EV, and much more, including:
- Two-tone paint: Gravity Gray with Platinum Gold Roof; Black cherry with a red hell roof; and Neptune Blue with a Cherry Black roof
- Heated exterior mirrors, electrically adjustable, heated, glossy black, with signal repeater
- Harman / Kardon with 10 speakers17 premium audio with external amplifier
- Wireless phone charger18
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Heated front seats with SofinoUpholstery for non-animals
- Auto dimming rear view mirror