Leftover rice can cause food poisoning if it is not stored properly



[ad_1]

If rice is part of your meal preparation routine, or if you are still left with leftovers, you will want to follow these food safety guidelines to avoid getting sick. Eating heated rice can cause food poisoning if you are not careful after cooking rice for the first time, advises the UK National Health Service.

Again, the problem is not warming the rice itself, but the way you handle it in the first place. After cooking the rice, you should not let it sit for more than an hour. Uncooked rice may contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. A bacterium can survive even after cooking rice, and the longer the rice stays at room temperature, the more bacteria can grow and produce toxins. If they are formed and you eat the rice later, you may end up with uncomfortable vomiting or diarrhea.

pictureGetty Images

Fortunately, it is quite simple to avoid the risk. First option: cook the amount of rice you plan to eat and serve it right away. Second option: if you want to eat later, store it immediately cooled, according to the NHS. It should not last more than an hour.

The rice should be eaten the next day (so no, stretching your leftovers all week long is not a good idea, unfortunately). When you heat it up, make sure it is steamed. In addition, you should not heat the rice more than once.

… it's a lot of information. In short, do not let your rice cooked on the counter more than an hour, agree? Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk on rice.

[ad_2]
Source link