LANSING, MI – State departments are cracking down on some businesses violating a statewide order requiring all bars and restaurants inside to be closed for three weeks in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID -19 after a spike in new cases.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services released restaurant citations and the Michigan Liquor Control Commission suspended liquor licenses for establishments in violation of the recent public health order on Wednesday, November 25.
Companies that had liquor license suspensions include Cory’s Restaurant, doing business as Jimmy’s Roadhouse in Newaygo, Brew Works of Fremont, and The Meeting Place in Fenton.
In addition, several restaurants have been cited by the state with fines of up to $ 1,000 per violation or per day the violation is prosecuted, the state said.
Those cited by the state include Woodchips BBQ in Lapeer, Big Boy of Sandusky, and The Meeting Place in Fenton. The list also includes Café Rosetta in the Calumet of the Upper Peninsula.
Information was received by the MDHHS from local health services and local law enforcement regarding the non-compliance with the order, according to a press release of Wednesday, November 25 from the MDHHS. Civil fines are due within 30 days of receipt of citations. Other establishments should be cited.
“The vast majority of restaurant and bar owners are doing the right thing and they have temporarily shut down their indoor service to help prevent the spread of the virus,” MDHHS director Robert Gordon said. “We know this isn’t easy for anyone, it’s not an action we take lightly, but the sooner we can mitigate the spread of COVID-19, the sooner we can all get back to doing things that we appreciate.”
The restrictions went into effect Wednesday, November 18, and will last through the Thanksgiving holiday and through December 8.
Some central Michigan restaurateurs said they reopened their doors for indoor dining to support their community and employees less than a week after a public health order forced them to end service.
A number of restaurants in Lapeer and surrounding communities posted the same lengthy post on their Facebook pages indicating that they are banding together to offer meals in person.
The state said it plans to release additional quotes.
“Cases of COVID-19 are incredibly high statewide, and these orders are in place to help prevent the spread of the virus, save lives and protect our frontline workers,” said Dr Joneigh Khaldun, Medical Director and Deputy Director. for health at MDHHS. “We must do everything in our power to relieve the stress on our hospitals and healthcare workers. Eating establishments like restaurants and bars can play a vital role in keeping order and most of them are doing their part.
To date, there have been more than 320,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Michigan, resulting in more than 8,600 deaths. The average daily COVID-19 death in Michigan has quadrupled in the past five weeks.
The public can report any suspected non-compliance issues at a facility directly to MLCC online or by calling the MLCC Enforcement Hotline, toll-free, at 866-893-2121.
Central Michigan restaurants band together to reopen indoor food service despite statewide ban
Big Boy restaurant in Michigan’s Thumb remains open, owner says he will fight cease-and-desist order
Michigan reports 4,273 new coronavirus cases, 73 new deaths
Bay County Department of Health issues emergency order for employers
Coronavirus data by county as of Wednesday, November 25: 51 of 83 counties see increase in cases last week
Here’s what’s changing in Michigan under new COVID-19 restrictions, in place for 3 weeks