Zack Wheeler He tells John Harper, John Harper, that the Mets have not yet contacted him about an extension of contract, adding that he is open to discussions and that he hopes to stay with the team, any contract "should be the responsibility of my account", given its proximity to free will. . Harper's text contains many quotes from Wheeler, who seems eager to stay with the Mets, but not necessarily at a reduced rate with an independent agency on the horizon. Wheeler says his representatives pointed out to him that he will be one of the youngest entrants on the market alongside Gerrit Cole next season, which augurs well for him. Of course, it should be noted that Alex Wood is younger than both and the market should currently contain larger, slightly older fish (eg Madison Bumgarner, Chris Sale) and substantially older but nevertheless elite (e.g. Justin Verlander).
That said, if Wheeler manages to get closer at the end of the season, he dominates by 2.06 ERA, 2.71 FIP, 8.9 K / 9, 2.2 BB / 9, 0.45 HR / 9, 44.8% elimination rate compared to its last 100 2/3 innings – it should indeed be prepared for a good salary. And, as Harper points out, the Mets Farm is brimming with promising prospects to replace it.
Here are more Queens (uh … from Port St. Lucie) …
- Newsday's David Lennon Provides Insight into Mets' Upcoming Decision with a Base Prospect Pete Alonso (who has obviously dropped the "r" of his first name to the benefit of a monosyllabic nickname). The young slugger seemed largely ready for a promotion to a big league last September and his representatives were among the many agents of the league. who decried what actually seemed to be another case of tampering with time while Alonso was not getting MLB's call. With Jed Lowrie and Todd Frazier Sick, Alonso's racket could be all the more necessary. New General Manager Brodie Van Wagenen and Manager Mickey Callaway have indicated that a player's destination at the end of the camp will be based on merit and nothing more. If Alonso is struggling in the spring, he will put him to the test. The Mets would only need to send him away for a little over two weeks to gain an extra year of control by the team, although NL East is fiercely competitive in 19; the four alleged claimants therefore have every reason to do their best. the lists from the first day of the opening are planned.
- Dominic Smith spoke with Kyle Glaser of Baseball America on Tuesday and discussed changes to his off-season diet and training programs, as well as the tremendous work he has done in watching videos and editing mechanical momentum. Formerly announced as the base player of the future of the Mets, Smith has so far been skipped by Alonso, although he is barely 23 years old, but he spoke with confidence of the growth room that still offers his youth . Smith also evoked the "mixed emotions" of watching the Mets add coins throughout the winter, explaining that the increased competition was giving a level of excitement and energy to the camp that had not been there for some time. seasons. Even after a low season in 2018, Smith is a .300 / .361 / .460 forward in 875 appearances at the Triple-A plaque.
- Field player T.J. Rivera, who missed the 2018 season after surgery in 2017 by Tommy John, "struggles to overcome the lump" during his rehabilitation, Callaway told reporters (Twitter link via Anthony DiComo from MLB.com). DiComo notes that 30-year-old Rivera still feels an embarrassment in his elbow and does not seem close to seeing an action in a grapefruit league competition. Even though Rivera was not considered a likely factor in the team's opening field anyway, the fact that he is not yet ready for the match is more striking than the veterans Jed Lowrie and Todd Frazier are marginalized by knee and oblique problems. The Mets still have depth with Jeff McNeil, Amed Rosario, Robinson Cano, Alonso Smith and J.D. Davis as options around the inner field, not to mention guests not on the list Adeiny Hechavarria.