The former Boston Red Sox hitter, David Ortiz, suffered a third operation earlier this week due to complications from the gunshot wound he suffered last month in the Dominican Republic.
Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, announced the latest surgery in a statement released Thursday by the Red Sox. She did not reveal details about the complications, but said that Ortiz "is recovering well and is in a good mood."
Ortiz, 43, is still recovering at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston after being shot and wounded on June 9 in Santo Domingo. Doctors in the Dominican Republic removed his gall bladder and part of his bowel before transporting him to Boston in an air ambulance sent by the Red Socks.
Once in Boston, Ortiz underwent a second surgery on June 10th. This week's operation was conducted by Dr. David King at Massachusetts General.
"We continue to be incredibly grateful for the kindness and compassion shown by David and all of our family during this difficult time," said Ortiz's wife in Thursday's statement.
Ortiz led the Red Sox to three world championships, was a star player 10 times and hit 541 home runs. The Red Sox retired his 34-year-old number in 2017, and he has a bridge and a stretch of road outside Fenway Park, named after his name.
Associated Press contributed to this report.