Otis McKane attacks bailiff after learning of guilty verdict for capital murder

SAINT ANTHONYEditor’s Note: KSAT broadcasts the entire McKane trial live, including the upcoming punishment phase. Subscribe to free open court newsletter to get updates.

After 25 minutes of deliberation, a Bexar County jury found Otis McKane guilty of capital murder on Monday.

After the verdict was read in the courtroom, McKane unbuttoned and undid his shirt. Moments later, he nudged a bailiff who was trying to hold him back. Other officers immediately grabbed McKane, one of the bailiffs shouting “Taser.” It is not known, however, if the weapon was used. The smitten usher returned to the courtroom a few minutes later and appeared to be fine. McKane had shown no emotion during the trial before the attack except when he cried when video of his interrogation showed the accused sobbing. The jury was not in the courtroom when the chaos occurred.

A d

McKane shot the detective from the San Antonio Police Department. Benjamin Marconi in front of the police headquarters in 2016.

The jury will now enter the punishment phase of the capital murder trial, where McKane could be sentenced to death or life without the possibility of parole. These proceedings are scheduled to begin at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday and will be broadcast live on KSAT.com.

KSAT 12 coverage of chaos in Otis McKane's courtroom after guilty verdict
KSAT 12 coverage of chaos in Otis McKane’s courtroom after guilty verdict

The trial marked the first death penalty case in more than five years in Bexar County and was the county’s largest criminal trial since jury trials reopened following the COVID-19 pandemic.

The trial lasted for 11 days over a three-week period in which the prosecution called on 55 witnesses to help them present their case, while the defense called only one witness, who testified for about 15 minutes.

A d

In closing arguments, the prosecution called the murder a “public execution in front of the public safety headquarters” and that McKane “wanted to kill somebody’s life.” The prosecution also pointed out that McKane has repeatedly admitted to killing Marconi.

Prosecution said their witnesses and evidence proved beyond a reasonable doubt that McKane was guilty of the capital murder charge because Marconi was a peace officer acting in the legitimate exercise of an official function. .

The defense replied in its closing arguments that even though he was in his police car writing a ticket, Marconi was texting about personal matters when he was shot. Defense attorney Joel Perez told jurors that if Marconi was conducting personal business when he was shot, McKane could not be charged with capital murder and therefore would not face a possible death sentence.

A d

The jury disagreed.

On the morning of November 20, 2016, Marconi was sitting in his patrol car outside the SAPD public security headquarters writing a ticket to a driver when McKane pulled over in a black car parked behind his. car. McKane approached the police unit and shot the officer twice in the head while he was sitting in the driver’s seat.

A massive manhunt ensued and intelligence led police to arrest McKane 30 hours later.

It was later revealed that the day after the shooting, the accused entered the Bexar County courthouse and got married as police searched for him.

Security footage showed him entering the courthouse, where he obtained the marriage license.

Watch more daily coverage of the trial below:

Copyright 2021 by KSAT – All rights reserved.

Source link