The Portland Timbers and Colorado Rapids drew 2-2 in a wild game at Providence Park on Saturday night.
Timbers goaltender Steve Clark made four massive saves in the first half, but the Timbers lost a player in the second half and could not hold two goals against the Rapids.
The Timbers played the last 35 minutes and over with 10 men after defender Julio Cascante was sent off for serious foul play on Kei Kamara of the Rapids. But a nudge in Lalas Abubakar's Rapids area in the 62nd minute led Diego Valeri to score his fifth goal of the season.
Sam Nicholson's goal in the 76th minute prevented the Rapids from leaving without a point. Colorado has not beaten the Timbers for over two years.
Tommy Smith's unfortunate header from a corner gave a goal in the 27th minute, giving Portland a 1-0 lead. But Jonathan Lewis, returning from the Concacaf Gold Cup and the US national team, responded by scoring on a missed goal in the 28th minute.
The Timbers were playing their third game in seven days. Portland lost defender Marco Farfan in the 10th minute due to a knee injury, forcing the Timbers to get to the bench earlier.
- 27 & # 39; – POR – Tommy Smith (OG) | WATCH
- 28 – COL – Jonathan Lewis | WATCH
- 63 – POR – Diego Valeri (PK) | WATCH
- 76 – COL – Sam Nicholson | WATCH
- THE GREAT IMAGE: The Timbers have to face many defensive failures and feel lucky to get a draw, since Colorado has done a lot more to win. But they lost a three-point opportunity against last-place Western Conference team. The Rapids deserved better than one point and got a remarkable effort from Andre Shinyashiki on the wing, his speed being a determining factor. Colorado will have three of the next four home games to try to climb the rankings, not to mention a friendly match against Arsenal on Monday.
- MOMENT OF THE GAME: Abubakar's elbow top was exactly what Timbers at the disadvantage needed, even though they could only get three points. Valeri did what the stars do and push the goals.
- MAN OF THE GAMEClark kept the game 1-1 with two saves on the same Rapids possession and a second later. The Timbers were lucky enough to be tied at halftime. And he had not finished – Clark refused an attempt by Nicolas Mezquida in the 72nd minute, when he left his line for a huge save and finished with six saves.
– Portland Timbers (@TimbersFC) July 14, 2019
- COLLAR: Saturday, July 20th against New York City FC (9pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN in the United States, DAZN in Canada)
- POR: Thursday, July 18th against Orlando City FC (ESPN, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)