The Washington Redskins claimed the linebacker on Tuesday, but he will not be on the field immediately. Foster has been placed on the NFL commissioner's exempt list, which means he can neither train nor attend games while the league reviews his arrest, told CNN the door -speaker of the league, Brian McCarthy.
In anticipation of a reaction, Washington issued a statement on Foster's Doug Williams, senior vice president of staff of the team's players.
"The Redskins fully understand the seriousness of the recent allegations against Reuben," Williams said. "If this is true, you can be sure that these allegations will not be tolerated by our organization.
"Let's be clear, Reuben will have to go through many steps, including the full court process, investigation and possible NFL discipline, as well as meetings with team-related advisors before he can wear the Burgundy suit. and gold as a player.
"That being said, we decided to further investigate the situation with Reuben by claiming his rights after frank conversations with a number of his former Alabama teammates and current Redskins players, who were supporting us at a competitive pace. overwhelming majority.
"Nothing is promised to Reuben, but we hope that many alumni of his teammates and friends will provide him with the best possible environment to succeed both personally and professionally."
CNN contacted Foster's agent, but did not get an answer.
Foster, 24, was arrested Saturday night after police went to the Grand Hyatt hotel in Tampa, Florida for an investigation into domestic violence, according to a city press release.
The former first-round pick had been charged with a first-degree domestic violence charge and had been detained at Hillsborough County Jail. Foster declined to comment when he was released Sunday, according to footage from WFLA, an affiliate of CNN.
According to the police, Foster's 28-year-old mate "slapped her phone with her hand, pushed her to the chest, and slapped her with an open hand on the right side of her body." face".
The 49ers released Foster Sunday, a few hours before their match against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
"We have set up a set of standards that players have been involved in developing," said 49ers general manager John Lynch. In this case, he was communicated with exceptional clarity on what we expected from him.
"(His release is more) a comment on the fact that he does not respect what we had communicated, as well as the energy and time we had invested in him."
In April, Foster was charged with domestic violence for allegedly attacking his girlfriend in February at their home, leaving her bruised and with a torn eardrum, said Santa Clara county attorney. At that time, the 49ers announced that he would not participate in the team's activities because he was dealing with legal issues.
In May, these charges were dropped after the withdrawal of his story, and then Foster joined the team.
"It has been made clear to Reuben that his place on this team must continue to be won," Lynch said in a statement.
In July, Foster was fined and suspended without pay for the first two games of the 2018 regular season for violating NFL policy and substance abuse practices. The violations stem from an offense related to weapons and a drug-related offense, both of which were resolved earlier this year.
Wayne Sterling, Hollie Silverman and Eric Levenson of CNN contributed to this report.