LOS ANGELES – The State of Oregon used powerful running play, Chance Nolan’s pass and solid defense to win their first Pac-12 opener since 2013 and win at USC for the first time since 1960 with a 45-27 victory over the Trojans on Saturday night at Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles.
Here is a recap of how the game unfolds.
LIVE UPDATES SUMMARY
FINAL: STATE OF OREGON 45, USC 27
– Slovis quickly moves Trojans beyond the 30 meter line of Trojans. But the clock goes below 3 minutes. Avery Roberts is shaken by the game but leaves the field on his own. Then Jack Colletto intercepts Kedon Slovis’ pass, and it’s a huge game for the linebacker / quarterback. Oregon State takes over with 2:42 left, and USC has just one timeout left. The OSU campaign ends with a 42-yard field goal that takes the Beavers’ lead to 45-27 with 58 seconds left. Alton Julian intercepts Kedon Slovis with 50 seconds left and Oregon State will win this game 45-27 to end a 61-year winless drought at USC.
– USC tries the kick in play again, and once again Trevon Bradford gets it back. BJ Baylor picks up 5 yards at USC 44 as the Beavers now look to clear the clock and get out of the Colosseum with their first road win over USC since 1960. Baylor runs it again and recovers the first trial. Deshaun Fenwick gets a carry over and picks up a yardstick, but there is a flag on the coin. It’s a blind block on Flemings Field, and it costs the Beavers 15 yards. Fenwick gained 10 yards on a rush, then USC burned their first time out with 4:30 to go. After a short win by Fenwick, USC took their second time out. Then Nolan’s pass was incomplete and the Beavers repelled it. Gary Bryant Jr. catches just at his 6-yard line, and the Trojans take over with 4:21 left.
– After two great passes from Kedon Slovis, the Trojans descended on the Oregon State 15-yard line. But after passing 25 and 29 yards, Andrzej Hughes-Murray drops Slovis for a sack. OSU’s Ryan Franke is shaken on the play and is helped off the field. It is now the second and long, and the beavers are arriving in Slovis again. He gets rid of the ball before Riley Sharp finishes the sack, but Slovis is called in for an intentional grounding. Add a false start and USC faces third and 36 from OSU 41. Drake London catches a pass and goes down to 29, making it fourth and long for USC. The Trojans are going for a 46-yard field goal, and that’s good. With 6:29 remaining, USC reduced Oregon State’s lead to 42-27. Oregon State 42, USC 27
– The Trojans attempt a side kick, but the Beavers’ Trevon Bradford gets it back. Oregon State takes over at USC 45. A few games later, Chance Nolan returns it to USC with an interception at Jalen Smith. The Trojans will have it on their own with 8:28 am to go.
–USC continues an 11-game, 75-yard campaign to reduce Oregon State’s lead to 42-24 with 10:26 to go. Keaontay Ingram hits him from 3 yards. Oregon State 42, USC 24
– Some statistics at this stage: Chance Nolan is 15 of 17 for 213 yards with 4 TDs and an interception. BJ Baylor has 19 carries for 141 yards (7.4 yards per carry). And Tyjon Lindsey has five catches for 102 yards and 2 touchdowns.
–Jack Colletto scores again on a short term, and the Oregon State Beavers took a 42-17 lead at USC with 14:14 left in the game. It became a rout at the Colosseum. Oregon State 42, USC 17
END OF 3RD QUARTER: OREGON STATE 35, USC 17
– The State of Oregon is knocking on the door again as the third quarter draws to a close. The Beavers will be at the USC 3-yard line early in the fourth quarter.
– Rejzohn Wright appears to have recovered a pass from Kedon Slovis, but it was deemed incomplete and the appeal was upheld after review. But on the next play, Slovis has the ball stripped as he jostles himself, and Oregon State recovers it. Avery Roberts forced the fumble, and Omar Speights pounced on it. The Beavers take over at their own 36 with 3:20 left in the third quarter.
– The Beavers force a punt from USC, and after a decent return from Trevon Bradford, Oregon State recovers the ball on its own 41-yard line. BJ Baylor runs it and picks up about 2 yards. Baylor retrieves him and runs to the middle for 4 meters. That brings in third and 4. Chance Nolan finds a Tyjon Lindsey wide open on the right side, and he runs 33 yards down the sideline, to USC 20. The Trojans are then whistled for a detention. defensive, and OSU has it first and USC 10 goal. BJ Baylor finds room to maneuver in the middle and he wins 8 yards, up to 2. Jack Colletto enters and enters the end zone at 2 yards for the touchdown. Oregon State 35, USC 17
– BJ Baylor interrupts a 40-yard run on the left sideline and the Beavers are moving quickly to USC territory. Baylor finished the race with an 11-yard touchdown run, but a detention penalty brought him back. But in the next game, Nolan finds Tyjon Lindsey in midfield and he’s ready for the touchdown. Oregon State climbs 28-17 at 12:06 of the third quarter. Oregon State 28, USC 17
HALF TIME: OREGON STATE 21, USC 17
– Parker Lewis hitting a 26-yard field goal after a quick USC hit, and the Trojans reduced Oregon State’s lead to 21-17 at halftime. Oregon State will be kicking off the second half.
– Beavers get a save on USC third and 9 and Beavers will recover the ball after the Trojans kick it. Trevon Bradford put him on the line and was abandoned about the OSU 8-yard line with 1:27 left in halftime. The state of Oregon is moving fast. Chance Nolan rushes in and wins 14. Then he hits Tyjon Lindsey on a passing game for 26 yards. A dump in the middle of BJ Baylor turns into a 9-yard gain for USC 43. Trey Lowe gets his first down at 36 for the Trojans. Now first and 10 OSU with 51 seconds left in the half. Now Nolan throws a nice ball down the straight sideline for Tre’Shaun Harrison, who wraps it up and runs into the end zone for a touchdown. Oregon State goes 21-14 with 44 seconds left in the first half.
– USC training and the Trojans send it back to the beavers, and they’ll take over on their own 8-yard line. Chance Nolan runs it on the first try and picks up 8 yards. Tyjon Lindsey gets it on a sweep to the left, and he picks up the first down and goes out of bounds around the 26th. A few games later, OSU is in USC territory and has a first down after a run from Fenwick. Beavers are successful on the fly by sweeping receivers. Tyjon Lindsey, Jesiah Irish and now Silas Bolden. BJ Baylor runs it again, and it picks up about 6 yards, up to USC 18. Now Tre’Shaun Harrison gets a 5-yard gain on 13. After a winless run from Fenwick, it’s third and 5. Oregon State is taking a timeout. On third and 5, Chance Nolan found Tyjon Lindsey with a perfect shot in the end zone for a 13-yard touchdown. The Beavers tied at 14-14 with 2:50 left in the first half.
– BJ Baylor runs for 44 yards, but is called back on a hold penalty. The Beavers already have 82 penalty yards. Deshaun Fenwick runs seven meters. Then Chance Nolan throws incomplete to get the third and the 13. Beavers convert him. Nolan throws a full throw at Tyjon Lindsey for a win of 13. A few plays later, on third and 9th, Nolan throws a full throw at Zeriah Beason, but the first try is missed. It’s fourth and 3 for OSU 42. The offense lines up as if to go, but it’s more of a quick punt from Chance Nolan. It’s a good shot because the ball rolls dead over the USC 5-yard line. Les Troyens will take over from there, leading 14-7.
– Kedon Slovis fumbles the snap, but Keaontay Ingram picks it up and throws it anyway for a 10-yard touchdown. USC goes up 14-7 at 1:23 pm of the second quarter.
END OF 1ST QUARTER: OREGON STATE 7, USC 7
– USC sets up training which is again aided by Oregon State sanctions. At the end of the first quarter, the Trojans are at the Oregon State 20 yard line.
–Oregon State had a good practice and scored the first goal for USC 8, but Chance Nolan had an assist in the end zone and Isaac Taylor-Stuart of the Trojans had an interception. It’s a touchback for USC. This keeps the score tied 7-7 with 3:01 remaining in the first quarter.
– USC walks straight down and responds to Oregon State’s score with its own touchdown. Kedon Slovis throws a 7-yard touchdown pass to Gary Bryant Jr. to tie the game at 7-7 with 8:14 left in the first quarter. The State of Oregon imposed an illegal hand use penalty and a pass interference penalty that made it easier to operate the Trojans.
– BJ Baylor with a good run to the center in OSU’s first offensive game. Baylor is in USC territory, at 48 des Troyens. He picks it up and picks up about 3 yards. Baylor then picks up 2 yards to set up third and 5. Chance Nolan has plenty of time and eventually has to check up to Trey Lowe, who can only pick up 2. Beavers go in fourth and 3. Nolan rushes in and has plenty of room. He runs for the first down and slips to USC 25. Now no one picks up tight end Teagan Quitoriano, and Chance Nolan finds him wide open for a 25-yard touchdown pass. The Beavers strike first and lead 7-0 with 9:58 left in the first quarter.
– The Oregon state defense is pushed back a bit to start the game, with USC getting some decent chunks of footage. But then Rejzohn Wright catches a low pass from the USC wide receiver and intercepts to give the Beavers a great field position for their first possession of the game. The Beavers start at their own 39-yard line.
INFORMATION BEFORE THE GAME
Oregon State (2-1) at USC (2-1, 1-0 Pac-12)
When: 7:45 p.m. Saturday
Or: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
Last row: Trojans by 10½
Weather at kick-off: 75 degrees and clear sky
TV channel: FS1 (Xfinity Comcast 723/408, Dish 150, DirecTV 219, Charter Spectrum 211)
How to watch live online: You can watch this game live for FREE with fuboTV (free try). You can also get this game on Sling TV (promotional offers) if you no longer have trials on fuboTV or if you simply prefer this platform and its pricing plans. You can also watch the game live on FOX Sports Live with the connection information from your cable or satellite provider.
On air: Radio on KEX (1190), KPOJ (620), Sirius 113, Sirius XM 198, Sirius XM App 960
What’s at stake
Oregon State, chasing its first three-game winning streak since 2014, is trying to win for the first time at USC since 1960. The Trojans, who sacked their coach Clay Helton there has 12 days, come off a 45-14 victory in Washington State. . The big question for USC is the quarterback, where Jaxson Dart (knee) is missing and Kedon Slovis just injured his neck at the WSU. The Beavers are healthy and bring a hot quarterback to Chance Nolan, who ranks No.2 in the Pac-12 for passing efficiency.