Rosenstein plans to leave the Department of Justice next month



[ad_1]


US Attorney General Rod Rosenstein testifies at a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on the Foreign Intelligence Monitoring Act (FISA) on June 7, 2017. (Kevin Lamarque / Reuters)

Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein plans to leave the Department of Justice in mid-March, said Monday evening an official familiar with the matter, who should announce the appointment of his successor soon.

Rosenstein, the head of Justice No. 2, who has spent nearly two years in the hot seat since the appointment of Robert S. Mueller III to investigate whether President Trump's campaign had conspired with Russia in the 2016 elections, had reported In recent weeks, he planned to leave if and when a new Attorney General was confirmed by the Senate.

As William P. Barr was sworn into the position last week, Rosenstein set a more specific timeline for departure – although the manager stressed that his plan could be changed if needed to ensure a smooth transition.

Some people familiar with the case said that the administration had also decided to appoint Jeffrey A. Rosen, assistant secretary of transport, to replace him. It will have to be confirmed by the Senate, which would probably occur after Rosenstein's departure.

The announcement of Rosenstein's planned departure date comes as the Deputy Attorney General again faces allegations of former FBI Acting Director Andrew McCabe that he reportedly talked about taking money. Steps against Trump after the sacking of President by President James B. Comey, in May 2017. McCabe said in a statement In an interview given on CBS '"60 Minutes" broadcast Sunday, Rosenstein referred to the news. the idea of ​​chasing Trump with the help of the 25th Amendment or wearing a wire to record it secretly at the White House.

He said, "I'm never searched when I go to the White House. I could easily carry a recording device. They would not know it was there, "said McCabe, describing what he had said to Rosenstein." He was not joking. "

The interview provoked anger from Trump, who said on Twitter that Rosenstein and McCabe were apparently "planning a very illegal act." But the official said Rosenstein's departure was expected and McCabe's recent comments had no impact on the timeline.

In response to the interview "60 minutes," a spokeswoman for the Department of Justice said, "The Deputy Attorney General has never authorized the recording that Mr. McCabe mentions." As the Deputy Attorney General has already stated, given his personal relationship with the President, there is no reason to invoke the 25th Amendment, and the DAG was not in a position to consider invoking the 25th Amendment. "

Senator Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said she wanted to investigate McCabe's claims.

[ad_2]
Source link