Shields beats Hammer and wins the undisputed title

A few days before Claressa Shields meets Christina Hammer for the undisputed world middleweight title on Saturday, Shields clearly explained how the fight would go and what she wanted people to say after the fight.

"When I beat Christina Hammer on Saturday, I want everyone to say," Shields is nailing the hammer, "said Shields.

That's exactly what Shields did, as she picked up all her speeches, then some with a masterful performance in the pinnacle of the crash trajectory that Hammer and she had been following for over a year while Showtime was getting ready for the fight.

The Shields dominated and beat Hammer before making the unanimous decision to win the undisputed title in one of the most significant fights in the history of women's boxing at the Adrian Phillips Theater Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, in New Jersey.

Two judges scored the match 98-91, both giving Shields a 10-8 win in the eighth round, even without overturning, as it was dominant. A judge had 98-92 for Shields.

Shields unified her three main belts with the one she took from Hammer during a fight originally scheduled for Nov. 17, but postponed because Hammer was ill.

"I'm the tallest woman of all time," said Shields. "I did it.It did not win a round.I nearly knocked her out.I swear, I have the impression of dreaming right now.Thanks to Christina Hammer and her team, they said she had a hard blow, and they were not lying, her jab is out of the chain. "

Shields (9-0, 2 KOs), 24, of Flint, Michigan, amateur at 77-1 and winning two consecutive Olympic gold medals in 2012 and 2016, became the second woman of the era all four belts win all major world titles in a division. The other is the undisputed world champion welterweight, Cecilia Braekhus, who Shields has convened for a historic summit meeting that she would like to have on pay-per-view.

There were only four men to hold all four belts at the same time: lightweight champion Oleksandr Usyk, who accomplished the feat last year, junior welterweight Terrence Crawford and middleweight Jermain Taylor and Bernard Hopkins .

Shields, her third defense, dominated Dashboards and CompuBox stats, since she managed 112 shots on 387 (29%). Hammer landed just 49 out of 366 (13%). The shields hit the 31-3 hammer to the body.

Hammer (24-1, 11 KOs), 28, a native of Kazakhstan and a fighter in Germany, saw his impressive race come to an end. Hammer, who won a world super middleweight title, had held a middleweight title since 2010 and was in his 13th defense.

"I did not fight very well or fast," said Hammer. "It's boxing – anything can happen – I wanted that fight." She won, respect her. "She's a strong, strong woman, and that's all I can say. She is fast, she moves forward, she has fast hands, I could not. I did not get to chat as well as expected. It's boxing. I will come back and I will be back stronger. "

Hammer got off to a good start by getting several free-kicks in the first round as Shields saw what she had in front of her before starting the fight.

"I was just calculating – what does her jab look like? How is she doing fast? I was just calculating in the first round, and then I started to separate her," Shields said.

Shields, who previously unified two belts in the middleweight class before losing weight, accelerated the pace in the second round and began to have many more punches, including a strong right hand. When Hammer unleashed a burst of punching in the third round, Shields dodged and dodged, virtually avoiding contact in an impressive display.

While Shields avoided most of Hammer's punches, she had landed good right hands and had totally cleared her play in the middle of the fight. Hammer wanted to go forward but eventually pulled back because she was greeted by so many shots of Shields to the head and body.

In the eighth round, Shields grabbed Hammer along the ropes with a hard left hand that dislodged his mouthpiece. The referee Sparkle Lee called timeout to replace him, but it was only a brief respite for Hammer. When the fight resumed, Shields was back in front of Hammer's face, nailing her with a hard right hand on the cheek and a left hook. Hammer was in full retreat as the shields submerged and sent him another right hand. It was a huge turn for Shields.

"I knew I could hurt her, I thought I'd finished her in the eighth round, I thought the fight should have stopped," Shields said. "She was holding me in. I just told myself, stay cool, stay calm, I was trying to get the perfect punch to get her out of there."

Hammer took several deep breaths in the ninth round and seemed exhausted while she was facing more punishment with Shields' right hand. Hammer continued to punch in the 10th round, and when it was over, Shields raised his hands to declare victory. Hammer does not have one.

"I did everything I wanted," Shields said. "They say 98-92 Give me 100-90 I won every turn I'm the greatest woman of all time Give me that You all said I could not to do, go on. "

Shields wasted no time in planning the next big fight she wants: Norwegian Braekhus (35-0, 9 KOs), 37, or the Englishman Marshall (5-0, 3 KOs), 27 years old, a super-heavyweight, the only woman to defeat Shields in an amateur fight.

"Women's boxing is on fire and I can not wait to see the next great fight," she said. "Right now, I'm the undisputed champion, give me Cecilia Braekhus at £ 154, which is what I want next, either she or Savannah Marshall."

Franklin stands out with Booker

Heavyweight hopeful Jermaine Franklin, who was making his television debut, unanimously passed a unanimous decision against Rydell Booker. Franklin won 99-91, 98-92 and 98-92.

It was mostly a slow and orderly fight, but the action was finally resumed at the end of the seventh round, when Booker put Franklin to the rope and tore him two punches before replicating and nailing Booker .

Franklin, the busiest, most precise and heaviest puncher in the fight, divided Booker's guard with a perfectly timed uppercut that made him snap his head in the ninth round.

According to CompuBox statistics, Franklin landed at 146 out of 541 shots (27%) and Booker at 94 out of 351 (27%).

"I think I had a decent performance, there are a few things I could work on, I was a little overpopulated, I was a bit nervous," Franklin said. "He had a lot more experience than me and used it to his advantage.He could see what I was doing.I learned to stay more patient because I had him." hurt several times, but once I got too tedious, my game plan went out the window, I started messing around and making crazy mistakes that I should not have. "

Franklin (18-0, 13 KO), 25 years old, from Saginaw, Michigan, professional since 2015, was a leading amateur and national champion of the 2014 Golden Gloves. He chose to become professional after that rather than compete for a spot on the 2016 US Olympic Team.

Booker (25-2, 12 KOs), 38, of Detroit (6-foot-3), was once a promising prospect, but after suffering his first defeat, a decision made by James Toney in 2004, he went to jail . for 12 years for attempting to sell 35 kilos of cocaine and did not cash back in 2018. He won the decision in three fights in six rounds on his return, before being defeated by Franklin.

"I felt that it had jostled me, but it was a lot tighter than what it was (on the scorecards)," said Booker. "I missed him a lot more than he looked, I slipped a lot of shots and I hit him clean, I knew he'd do it." pressure, but he needs a lot of work, he's too focused on the head, he's fine What he has on his side is the youth. "

Wallin-Kisner ends without decision

In the disappointing first leg of the triple title, the Swedish prospect Otto Wallin (20-0, 13 KOs), a 28-year-old southpaw, and Nick Kisner (21-4-1, 6 KOs), of Baltimore, faced off against first round without decision.

The fight had barely begun when they slammed their heads, a collision that opened a nick in Kisner's right eye and a nick at the side of Wallin's head. Wallin, who was making his debut in the United States, was bleeding but was OK. Kisner, however, complained not to see and referee David Franciosi called the waiting time so the ring doctor could examine the wound.

The fight eventually continued, but Kisner, 28, of Baltimore (5-foot-11) and 221-pound, complained of vision problems at the right eye in the corner after the round, which pushed Franciosi to end the fight on the opinion of the ring. doctor.

"For me, his break does not look so bad," Wallin said. "It's a shame because I trained very hard for this fight and was looking for a show for American fans, I just did not have the time to go there. I would like to go back soon and show what I can do, I will take this as a learning experience. "

Kisner said: "I caught a whim, and the referee came over to me." He saw me rub my eyes and said, "You see? "I said:" As soon as blood comes out of my blood, of course. "I feel horrible after being dragged so hard. I felt good in the first round. The judges probably gave him the first round, but I always withdrew the first round, but I felt that I could join him one day, and you saw me landing my pass right on the right. "

Source link