Study finds children swallow foreign objects more often



Dr. Orsagh-Yentis said that the ingestion of foreign bodies was common "generally" in children under six years of age. According to the National Poison Data System, in the United States, these ingestion was the fourth leading cause of poison control centers in the United States, according to the National Poison Data System, and generated nearly 64,000 reports.

On Mount Sinai, Dr. Londino said he noticed a trend where he and other doctors were "Call themselves more and more for the removal of foreign bodies."

In the last six months, he has removed a marble; the bottom half of a Lego man, "which was a challenge because of the shape"; and a coin – each of the esophagus.

Getting to the doctor quickly is essential for safe and successful extraction, he added, especially since some objects can be dangerous.

According to the study, the most commonly ingested items were coins, usually pennies. In 2015, parts accounted for more than 58% of ingestion and, of all inpatients in the two decades studied, almost 80% had ingested parts.

Other types of ingested items include toys, jewelry, nails, screws, hair products, magnets and Christmas decorations. Most ingestion has occurred in children aged 1 to 3 years, the study said. Jewelery and hair products were disproportionately ingested by girls, while boys were more likely to ingest screws and nails.

The researchers used data obtained from the Electronic Injury Surveillance System, which lists product-related injuries treated in the emergency departments of nearly 100 hospitals in the United States. The study found that because the data did not include children cared for by their primary care providers (or those who called poison control centers or did not seek treatment medical), the actual number of children swallowed the objects may be larger.

Dr. Orsagh-Yentis said the study underscored the need to be more vigilant and keep unsafe products in as safe a place as possible.


Source link