Home / United States / Supreme Court Authorizes Flint Resident to Prosecute Officials Involved in a Water Crisis

Supreme Court Authorizes Flint Resident to Prosecute Officials Involved in a Water Crisis



Lawsuits against a group of officials in the city of Flint, Michigan, hit by a water crisis in 2014, will go ahead after the US Supreme Court has denied their lawyers' request for them. suspend as part of their call.

The lawyers argued that their clients should not face the lawsuits after a three-judge court ruled in January that the officials "had created Flint Water's environmental disaster, and then deliberately tried to conceal their serious decision".

Sonia Sotomayor, the Supreme Court justice who handles calls from the Michigan region, dismissed the claim Friday.


The lawsuit stems from a case of liability incurred by Shari Guertin.

Flint resident said the water that had been contaminated with lead during the crisis had resulted in injuries to her and her child. She stated that she and her daughter were bathed in the water and drinking their pipe, which caused the injuries they suffered.

A federal judge initially refused to dismiss the case, which led to the first appeal and decision of the three-judge court in January.

The decision has remained intact since the sixth circuit refused to take the case in May, NBC News reported.

In a separate criminal case, prosecutors dropped all charges against the eight leaders of the crisis on Thursday and pledged to start anew the investigation into one of the worst environmental disasters. caused by the man in the history of the United States.

The decision was made over three years – and millions of dollars – after the authorities began examining the roots of the scandal that had left the Flint water system stained with lead.

The Michigan Solicitor General, Fadwa Hammoud, who took control of the investigation in January after the election of a new Attorney General, said that "all available evidence is not available. had not been sought "by the previous team of prosecutors.


Support freethinking journalism and subscribe to Independent Minds

Officials took hold this week of "millions of documents and hundreds of new electronic devices, greatly expanding the scope of our investigation."

Additional reports by AP


Source link