Home / United States / Suspected intruder hit on the head with a machete will make his first court appearance on Monday

Suspected intruder hit on the head with a machete will make his first court appearance on Monday



The 19-year-old is scheduled to appear in court on Monday after a weekend in which, according to police, he reportedly broke into a house and was beaten on the back of the head by a boy of 11 years handling machetes. a hospital dressed only in a dress and was arrested at his mother's house.

The hectic Hall weekend began Friday morning, when a man and a woman tried to break into a house in Mebane, North Carolina, northwest of Chapel Hill, according to authorities.

Braydon Smith, an 11-year-old boy, was alone at home when the intruders arrived, his mother, Kaitlin Johnson, told CNN. Johnson said that she was on the phone with her son when the intruders broke into the house.

The sheriff's office announced that a man came through a window and grabbed a pellet gun into the house, forcing Braydon to enter a closet.

"I knew it was not loaded and I sat in my closet as he had told me," Braydon told WTVD-TV, affiliated with CNN.

Braydon told the affiliate that the man then went into the living room to pick up his phone and make sure that Braydon did not call the police.

"When I saw him trying to put it in his pocket, I removed my machete from my wall and hit him," he said. "I knew I had to act in the heat of the moment."

Braydon – a baseball player – usually uses the machete to cut down trees, reported WTVD. After their house was ransacked by robbers a few years ago, Christopher Smith, Braydon's father, taught the boy how to use the big knife in self-defense.

"Things happened very fast and I knew that I did not have time to think about what I was going to do, so I caught the weapon that was in the home and I just acted with it, "Braydon told WTVD.

After being injured, the intruder allegedly kicked Braydon in the belly and side of the head, before attacking a PlayStation and a television.

But, bleeding profusely, the man dropped domestic electronics and escaped with the other suspects, according to the sheriff's office.

The suspect came out of the hospital

Deputy ministers provided hospitals in the area with a description of the suspect and his injuries, affiliates reported.

Hall, who comes from Monroe, south of Charlotte, was made aware of the case when he arrived at a hospital with a head injury, the sheriff's office announced.

Before he could be arrested, Hall had been transferred from the Hillsborough University Hospital to the UNC University Hospital, Chapel Hill, due to the severity of his injury. to the head, said a spokesman for Orange County, WRAL.

Hall told a nurse that he had to leave because the police were looking for him and he escaped from the hospital in a dress, holding what appeared to be a cup of water, announced the sheriff's office.

County and state law enforcement and the US Marshals were looking for him.

The ease with which Hall escaped the authorities has created friction between medical staff and law enforcement.

For about 10 hours, hospital staff did not know Hall was gone, according to Orange County Chief Jamison Sykes.

"The absence of Hall was only discovered when we phoned them," said Sykes in a statement.

Sykes said the deputies should have been informed by the hospital.

UNC Health Care stated that he still intended to work closely with law enforcement and that in such cases, hospital staff would often alert authorities when a suspect came out of his center. However, on Friday, the hospital staff was extremely busy with several injuries.

"Emergency nurses and doctors can not be both caregivers and law enforcement," the hospital said in a statement to CNN. "Our nurses and doctors spend 100% of their time providing patient care – it's their job."

UNC Health Care said in a previous statement that the suspect was under the legal custody of the Orange County Sheriff's Department, "who has not placed an agent with him".

"It is the responsibility of the security forces to closely monitor the status of suspects in their custody while these patients receive medical treatment," the statement said.

CNN's affiliate, WNCN-TV, said the other suspects of the robbery attempt, a man and a woman, are still on the run.

Ray Sanchez of CNN contributed to this report.


Source link