The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality has closed the 21 beaches of the state due to the presence of toxic blue-green algae.
Pascagoula Beach West and Pascagoula Beach East were closed Sunday, marking the closing of the last two beaches open to swimmers. The sandy portions of all beaches remain open, but it is advisable for people to stay out of the water and not to eat fish or seafood from the affected areas.
The current harmful algal bloom, or HAB, was caused at least in part by the opening of the Bonnet Carré spillway in Louisiana, which caused an excess of water sweet on the coast, reported the Jackson Clarion Ledger.
HABs occur when "algae colonies – simple plants living in the sea and freshwater – grow uncontrollably and produce toxic or deleterious effects on people" or wildlife, according to the National Oceans Administration. and the atmosphere.
"Human diseases caused by HABs, though rare, can be debilitating or even fatal. HABs have been reported in all US coastal states and their numbers may increase. HABs are a national concern because they affect not only the health of people and marine ecosystems, but also the "health" of local and regional economies, "said NOAA.
HAB can cause rashes, stomach cramps, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.
People can get sick by eating shellfish containing toxins produced by algae and airborne HAB toxins can also cause breathing problems and in some cases trigger asthma attacks in people. sensitive people.
A water contact notice has also been issued for a portion of the Jourdan River in Hancock County, from the bridge of Interstate 10 to the mouth of the river at St. Louis Bay.
Closed beaches are:
- Station 1 – Lakeshore Beach
- Station 2 – Buccaneer State Park Beach
- Station 3 – Waveland Beach
- Station 4 – Bay St. Louis Beach
- Station 5 – Pass Christian West Beach
- Station 6 – Christian Central Beach Pass
- Station 7 – Christian East Beach Pass
- Station 7A – Long Beach
- Station 8 – Gulfport West Beach
- Station 9 – Gulfport Harbor Beach
- Station 10 – Gulfport Central Beach
- Station 10B – East Courthouse Road Beach
- Station 11 – Gulfport East Beach
- Station 11A – Edgewater Beach
- Station 12A – Biloxi West Central Beach
- Station 12B – Biloxi East Central Beach
- Station 13A – Gulfport Harbor Beach
- Station 14 – Front Beach
- Station 15 – Shearwater Beach
- Station 19 – West Pascagoula Beach
- Station 20 – Pascagoula Beach East