Apple on Tuesday launched the third beta release of its next iOS 12.2 software update to registered developers.
Compared to previous beta versions of iOS 12.2, Beta 3 seems relatively light on the changes. The changes and additions identified so far seem to be of a rather minor nature. Here's all in the new beta.
Changes in iOS 12.2 Developer Beta 3
- The FaceTime group has been reactivated. The first two beta versions of iOS 12.2 will not work with this feature since Apple killed it as a result of the spy virus. This means that users will need to download iOS 12.2 beta 3 or iOS 12.1.4 to use Group FaceTime.
- Apple has redesigned the thumbnails of the HomeKit application and Apple TV Remote as well as the control center. In iOS 12.2 beta 3, it has a darker interface.
- The Apple News app header now says "News" instead of "Apple News."
- The About menu in the Settings application now lists the model name of the device.
- Fixed a bug that caused the display of an iPhone charge indicator on the lock screen rather than on the time.
Although Beta 3 is slightly modified, the more general version of iOS 12.2 will include a multitude of new additions.
Previous versions of iOS 12.2 included four new Animoji characters, support for Apple News for Canada in English and French, support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit for TVs intelligent third parties, and new scheduling options for downtime.
Safari has also been refined with additional privacy protections that limit the ability for websites to access movement and guidance data from an iPhone. The browser now offers a new "Unsecure" tag for unencrypted websites and a more convenient Google Autodiscover icon.
In addition, iOS 12.2 has undergone a slew of more modest design changes, such as an overhaul of the Wallet app's interface and a new AirPlay icon. You can see a complete list of other minor changes in our past cover.
While this does not change technically, iOS 12.2 also includes guidance on upcoming Apple products, such as the AirPods 2, the new iPads, and a future Apple News subscription service.
iOS 12.2 beta 3 should now be available for download from the Apple Development Center, or as a wireless update on devices with the appropriate configuration profile. A public beta test version of beta 3 is expected soon.
As always, we do not recommend downloading the beta software on your daily driver. But if you do, at least, completely back up your device beforehand.