Home / Health / The man becomes blind in the right eye after contracting a parasitic infection after being showered during contacts – History

The man becomes blind in the right eye after contracting a parasitic infection after being showered during contacts – History



– A man from the United Kingdom felt "excruciating pain" and became blind to the right eye after getting wet on contact, which caused the burial of a parasite under the lens and in the eye, reported the reporters.

Nick Humphreys, 29, of Shrewsbury, UK, contracted a rare parasitic infection called Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) in the right cornea.

"If I had known how dangerous it was to wear shower contacts, I would never have had them," said Humphreys, according to PA Real Life.

"After catching the infection, I went to the gym every other day and to football three times a week, it was now homebound for six months and I had lost the taste for life." it almost cost me my right eye. "

Over an 18-month period, Humphreys has undergone two eye surgery and is now waiting for a corneal transplant, which was booked for August 15th, the outlet said. The procedure could restore his sight.

"I lost 18 months of my life because of something as simple as taking a shower with contacts," Humphreys said. "If I regain sight, I will never wear contacts again.For that, like Edgar Davids, the former Dutch professional footballer – I will wear goggles to play sports."

"I will owe a monumental debt of gratitude to my donor," he wrote, according to CTV News.

Humphreys said that he had never been warned not to shower with the help of contact lenses, reported PA Real Life.

"One ordinary morning, I would get up, get my lenses in and head to the gym before work, then jump in the shower before going to the office," he said. "I did not think of it at all at the time, and I have never been told not to wear contact lenses in the shower, there is no need for contact lenses. warning on the packaging and my opticians have never mentioned any risk. "

According to CTV, he had excruciating pain because of his AK infection.

"I could not read a page of a newspaper without suffering excruciating pain, the sensitivity to light was so bad that I had to keep the curtains drawn at all times," he wrote.

Dr. Shahzad Ihsan Mian of the Kellogg Eye Center at the University of Michigan told CTV what AK is.

"Acanthamoeba is an ubiquitous parasite found in water and soil," said Mian, adding that good contact lens hygiene is the best form of prevention against bacteria.

"If you pay attention to how you clean your contact lenses, store and wear them and avoid situations such as taking a shower with contact lenses in the eyes or go swimming in a lake with contact lenses. you can really avoid type of infection, "he said.

Humphreys, a newspaper journalist, is now collaborating with the charity Fight for Sight to raise awareness of the danger of using contact lenses while showering or swimming, reported PA Real Life.

"It is essential that people know that it is a reality and that it can happen simply by taking a shower," he said.

This story has been reported from Los Angeles.


Source link