Three confirmed cases of norovirus at Boston College, officials say



Three confirmed cases of norovirus at Boston College, officials say

Three cases of noroviruses were confirmed at Boston College, according to a statement from school spokesman Jack Dunn.Dunn, who said that no visit to the University's Health Department for gastrointestinal problems had occurred in the past two days. "We are lucky to have limited the spread of the disease because we took aggressive precautionary measures in the middle of the flu season to clean up common areas, eliminate self-service items from dining halls and treat all toilets and residences with a disinfectant, "he said. Thomas I. Nary, director of university health services, said last week that dozens of the 14,400 school students had reported symptoms related to gastrointestinal illness. It was cured after treatment, but laboratory testing of three patients treated at the start of the week's presence of norovirus. In 2015, the norovirus sickened at least 120 Boston College students having eaten at a Chipotle restaurant in Cleveland Circle. Nary encouraged students and all members of the BC community to take the following precautions to prevent the spread of the disease: Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, several times a day.Relust frequently affected surfaces, including cell phones, laptops and keyboards.Avoid sharing cutlery, containers and other personal items.Use the buddy packs available in the rooms to eat for friends and roommates who can feel sick.

Three cases of norovirus have been confirmed at Boston College, according to a statement from school spokesman Jack Dunn.

Dunn said that there had been no visits to university health services for gastrointestinal problems during the past two days.

"We are lucky to have limited the spread of the disease because we have taken aggressive precautionary measures in the middle of the flu season to clean up common areas, eliminate self-service items from the rooms at eat and treat all toilets and living rooms with a disinfectant, "he said. in the statement.

Dr. Thomas I. Nary, director of university health services, said dozens of the 14,400 school students had reported symptoms related to gastrointestinal illness last week.

He added that the students had recovered after treatment, but laboratory tests of three patients treated early last week revealed the presence of norovirus.

In 2015, the Norovirus sickened about 120 Boston College students who ate at a Chipotle restaurant in Cleveland Circle.

Nary encouraged students and all members of the BC community to take the following precautions to prevent the spread of the disease:

  • Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, several times a day.
  • Clean affected surfaces frequently, including cell phones, laptops and keyboards.
  • Avoid sharing kitchen utensils, containers, and other personal items.
  • Use the friend packs available in the dining rooms for friends and roommates who may feel sick.

Alert me


Source link