Two other local residents have succumbed to COVID-19 as surrounding villages and communities reported a significant spike in the number of new cases of the deadly virus on Saturday.
One of the deaths was an 84-year-old Marion County man who tested positive on Nov. 3 and the other was a 94-year-old Lake County woman who tested positive on Nov. 16, according to a report released by the Florida Department of Health.
Fifty-six new cases of COVID-19 were reported in and around villages on Saturday. These include:
- Villages (Sumter, Lake and Marion Counties) up 21 to a total of 995;
- Belleview up 11 for a total of 456;
- Leesburg up 10 for a total of 1,614;
- Summerfield won seven for a total of 506;
- Oxford has three for a total of 156;
- Lady Lake won three for a total of 439; and
- Wildwood is riding one for a total of 488.
Sumter County is now reporting 3,279 cases – an increase of 31 from Friday to Saturday – among 1,842 men, 1,400 women, 19 non-residents and 18 people listed as unknown. A total of 226 cases were reported in long-term care facilities and 800 in correctional facilities. There were 92 deaths and 312 people treated in hospitals in the region.
Villages continue to keep pace with Sumter County with 933 cases, an increase of 20 in a 24-hour period. In addition to those mentioned above in Oxford and Wildwood, others were identified in Coleman (713), Bushnell (371, including 156 at Sumter Correctional Institution among 106 inmates and 50 staff), Webster (119) , Lake Panasoffkee (93), Center Hill (64), Sumterville (59) and part of Lady Lake County (52). Coleman Federal Prison is also reporting 115 cases among seven inmates and 108 staff.
Below is a breakdown of other COVID-19 activity in the region:
THREE COUNTY REGION
- Case: 25632 – increase of 218
- Male: 11,552
- Female: 13,790
- Non-residents: 132
- Unknown people: 158
- Deaths: 710
- Hospitalizations: 2,275
- Case: 10012 – increase of 66
- Male: 4609
- Female: 5,194
- Non-residents: 79
- People listed as unknown: 130
- Cases in long-term care facilities: 738
- Cases in correctional facilities: 283
- Deaths: 244
- Hospitalizations: 814
- Cities with most cases: Clermont (2559), Leesburg (1614), Tavares (861), Eustis (813) and Mount Dora (756). Villages are also reporting 52 cases.
- Case: 12,341 – increase of 121
- Male: 5101
- Female: 7196
- Non-residents: 34
- People listed as unknown: 10
- Cases in long-term care facilities: 1,184
- Cases in correctional facilities: 2,260
- Deaths: 374
- Hospitalizations: 1149
- Cities with most cases: Ocala (9217), Summerfield (506), Dunnellon (459), Belleview (456) and Citra (210). Villages report 10 cases. A total of 1,429 cases have been reported among inmates (1,318) and staff (111) at Lowell Correctional Institution and Marion Correctional Institution.
In total, Florida is reporting 931,827 cases, an increase of 8,409 from Friday to Saturday. Of this number, 918,240 are residents. A total of 54,904 cases were reported in long-term care facilities and 25,417 in correctional facilities. Statewide, there were 18,152 deaths and 53,266 people were hospitalized.