With Funeral of the Madea family opening in theaters this weekend, I recently sat down with Tyler Perry to speak of saying goodbye to his most lucrative franchise. Although you may not have noticed, over the last thirteen years, Perry has made eight Do one movies and they reported nearly five hundred million dollars. In addition to that, his 19 films totaled more than $ 864 million at the North American box office. It's an incredible feat.
With the massive success of Do one Character, I was curious to know why it was the right time to say goodbye, what it's like to own a movie studio in Georgia, though he was nervous about buying the property , the importance of Georgian tax credit to bring productions to the state, and more. In addition, a few years ago, Perry worked with David Fincher sure Missing girlI was curious to know what he was trying to do with one of the best directors on the planet.
Find out what he had to say in the reader above and below is a breakdown of what we talked about.
- How was it to talk to his accountant when he told them that he was ending the Madea franchise?
Why retire Madea now?
- How is it like owning a 330-acre movie studio?
- The tax credit of Georgia.
- How nervous was he to sign the contract?
- What did he get out of his job with David Fincher?
- Who had the idea to do three shows in one day during the comic tour?
Here is the official Funeral of the Madea family synopsis:
A happy family reunion becomes a hilarious nightmare as Madea and the crew travel to the Georgian hinterland, where they find themselves planning funerals that could reveal uncomfortable family secrets.