Gerso played a role in all three goals to help Sporting Kansas City win a 3-0 win over the Vancouver Whitecaps Saturday night at BC Place.
The visitors took the lead on a goal from Ali Adnan in the 24th minute, following a corner from Sporting Kansas City. Gerso entered without scoring in the box, cut inside Jake Nerwinski and fired a shot at the goal deflected by Adnan.
The Whitecaps insisted on equalizing in the first moments of the second half, but Tim Melia was forced. He first climbed to his right and stretched to parry a free kick from Inbeom Hwang in the 48th minute.
Three minutes later, 19-year-old Theo Bair nearly scored in his first MLS start, but opened the scoring to 17 yards. Moments later, Melia dived to her right to prevent Yordy Reyna's attempt.
After avoiding a ball on the counter when Zac MacMath fired his leg to prevent Gerso from playing Daniel Salloi, Felipe Gutierrez doubled the lead in the 56th minute. A sequence that started with a low MacMath clearance was over with Gutierrez sliding a low shot through the legs of a Henry Doneil slipping and into the net.
In the 76th minute, Reyna hit midway between the Caps and the goals. His 26-yard free-kick eased slightly off the SKC's five-man wall and went off the post.
Gerso put the finishing touches to his influential performance by throwing a Krisztian Nemeth ball back from MacMath in the first minute of the second half's break time.
- 24 '- SKC – Ali Adnan (OG) | WATCH
- 56 '- SKC – Felipe Gutierrez | WATCH
- 90 '+ 1' – SKC – Gerso | WATCH
- THE GREAT IMAGE: The sound you hear may be Sporting Kansas City, which is going into gear in the second half of the season with its second consecutive win, both in white. The Whitecaps, meanwhile, are in turmoil. They lost their third consecutive game with just one win in their last 10 games and 15 conceded goals in their last six games without a win.
- MOMENT OF THE GAME: Melia did not record Hwang's free kick, maybe it was a different story. It was one of his six night stops.
- MAN OF THE GAME: Gerso was a threat all along. It's his shot that deflected Adnan for his own goal before setting up Gutierrez and scoring a goal to seal the win.
- VAN: Wednesday, June 17 at the New England Revolution (7 pm ET | TSN 1/3, MLS LIVE on ESPN + in the US)
- SKC: Saturday, June 20 against FC Dallas (8:30 pm EST) MLS LIVE on ESPN + in the US, DAZN in Canada