Chris Carelli, SNY.TV Twitter | About me | Archives
The Yankees are ridden Masahiro TanakaThe white game against the Rays 3-0 at Yankee Stadium on Monday. >> Box score
Four takeaways from Monday's match
1) Tanaka dominated the Rays this season, and Monday's shutout was timely. Tanaka allowed only two hits and one walk, while eliminating 10 batters in his longest, and by far his best performance of the season. As the Yankees' rotation has been struggling in recent weeks, Tanaka has followed James PaxtonThe efforts are sustained and could slow down some of the pessimistic thoughts about the current rotation of the Yankees.
2) DJ LeMahieu recorded two homers in the third inning, the eighth circuit of the season for the infielder. LeMahieu is now at the top of the list for a better part of the season and yet he still has 43 RBIs, good for a tie in second place in the club with Gary Sanchez.
3) Cameron Maybin went 3-in-3 with a home run. Maybin has now conceded three straight games and is arguing for the defense as the Yankees prepare to take home Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge. The Yankees should go to a seven-man pen to keep Maybin on the list, which New York might not want to do. The problem, of course, is that Maybin has no options for minor leagues, so the club should designate him for an assignment and he is sure to be swept away.
4) Edwin Encarnacion went 0-for-4 in his Yankees debut. He had long batting attacks, showing that he will be able to help pitchers work like many other Yankees players. And, of course, the circuits will also help the Yankees.
Cam, Cam, thanks, man. pic.twitter.com/oPlBI7etdp
– New York Yankees (@Yankees) June 18, 2019
The Yankees have now dominated 20 consecutive games, drawing a draw for the longest streak of the Majors this season. pic.twitter.com/qVWzt1DKpV
– New York Yankees (@Yankees) June 17, 2019
J.A. Happ (6-3, 4.66 ERA) and the Yankees are facing Ryan Yarbrough (5-3, 5.59 ERA) and the Rays in the second game of the three-game series on Tuesday at 7:05 pm.