Children Swallow Stacks and Coins Increase Visiting Urgency



Children who put things in their mouths that they are not supposed to create are not a new problem. But it is a problem that is becoming more and more common and more dangerous. A recent study found that the number of children admitted to the emergency room for swallowing objects is the highest of all times.

With the help of data from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, researchers found that between 1995 and 2015, about 755,000 emergency visits to children aged from less than six years were due to the ingestion of small objects, which corresponds to about 99 visits per day. In 2015 alone, the number of visits to TK was twice as high as in 1995.

The study, published Friday in the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics pediatrics, also reported that the rate of children admitted reached 18 out of 10,000 in 2015, almost double what it was in 1995, with only 9.5 out of 10,000 children.

Danielle Orsagh-Yentis, the main author of the study, told NBC News that she decided to look into the matter "while we were all called in the middle of the night at indefinite hours to remove foreign bodies from the esophagus or stomach of the stomach." ; children. "

And with regard to the specific objects that children swallow, Orsagh-Yentis and his team discovered that coins, mostly pennies, were the most common. Behind, there were toys (especially marbles), jewelry (earrings) and batteries (often small batteries).

While the AAP recommends that parents keep small items such as coins, batteries and magnets out of the reach of young children, Orsagh-Yentis also reminds parents that any child who swallows any of these objects "should be brought to the emergency room as quickly as possible ", as this can lead to intestinal lesions, blood poisoning and even death.


Source link