- Conor McGregor announced to his Twitter subscribers that he would be back in the Octagon, 10 days after announcing his retirement from the sport forever.
- McGregor made this statement in a tweet that also seemed to be an excuse for his comments on bitter rival Khabib Nurmagomedov, described as "Islamophobic".
- Both athletes were involved in an ugly war of words: the Irishman called Nurmagomedov's wife "a towel" and the Russian called McGregor a "rapist".
- UFC director Dana White urged them to end their enmity on social networks and announced that the company would act.
- McGregor removed his offensive tweets and said, "All denominations challenge us to excel," before telling his fans that they will see him again in the sport.
Conor McGregor announced his return to the Octagon in an apparent apology tweet addressed to his bitter rival Khabib Nurmagomedov.
McGregor resigned mixed martial arts in a shock statement made 10 days ago, even though UFC boss, Dana White, was waiting for the Irishman to fight twice in 2019.
Few people thought that McGregor would remain retired, especially after suffering two consecutive losses against Floyd Mayweather in 2017 and Nurmagomedov last year. Even the UFC minority owner, Sylvester Stallone, said that McGregor had been "publicly humiliated".
But McGregor was an active social media presence this week as he challenged another UFC minority owner, actor Mark Wahlberg, to fight for his entire stake in the company, before turning to Nurmagomedov.
It all started when McGregor called Khabib Nurmagomedov's wife a "napkin", considered an Islamophic insult, in a now-deleted photo tweet.
Nurmagomedov responded by calling this 30-year-old man a "rapist", a reference to the allegation of sexual assault recently reported by the New York Times.
Read more: Dana White hurts Conod McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov in "unacceptable" quarrel on social networks, says UFC takes action
Since then, White has called for calm and said the UFC would act, which McGregor seemed to ignore when he tweeted and then deleted another message about Nurmagomedov's wife.
See the deleted post below:
Shortly after the removal of this tweet, McGregor apologized about his statements, suggesting that he would return to the UFC.
"I want to move forward with my fans of all religions and all walks of life" McGregor said. "All denominations challenge us to be our best selves – it's a world and one for all – now, do you see in the octagon."
McGregor is free to fight from April 6, after serving his suspension in the Nevada State Athletic Commission for the role he played in the fights that followed his defeat against UFC 229 against Nurmagomedov.
McGregor has been associated with several opponents for his comeback bout, including Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone, a rematch of Nurmagomedov and a trilogy against the old rival Nate Diaz.