Even more hero balancing changes have been made to the Overwatch Public Test Domain (PTR) just days after a major patch has brought its own series of adjustments.
The last update of the PTR registry arrived on February 26th and was one of the most important of recent memory. He not only introduced a brand new hero, Baptiste, but he also altered the balance of several heroes and even adjusted more general systems, such as the operation of armor and rollovers.
It seems that Blizzard has not been happy with the changes yet, however, when Overwatch's chief developer, Geoff Goodman, revealed that even more heroes would soon receive pay adjustments on the PTR with a new update. February 28th.
The new update has made additional changes to Lúcio and McCree in addition to those made by the original patch, while adding changes for Junkrat, Reaper, Symmetra, Zarya, and Zenyatta.
Many players are hoping to see the end of the GOATS meta after this major scale patch.
In combination with the changes already made by the initial update, these new features will mean that if you add Baptiste's addition to a "balance change", 20 of the 30 heroes of the game will be adjusted by this patch.
Such a range of changes means that the game is likely to embark on a major meta-transformation if the fix hits the live servers in its current state.
While this may sound like a daunting prospect for those who are used to the current state of the game, such a major overhaul might well reinvigorate the game after months of many players who have complained about the dominant meta.
The following are the official release notes for the February 28 update:
- Impact damage has been increased from 40 to 60
Developer Comments: Junkrat is one of the best anti-tank and anti-tank barriers in the game, and this change will help strengthen that role. This does not change the explosive damage of the Frag Launcher, which remains at 80. The total damage for direct impact is now 140, against 120 previously.
Amp It Up
- Boost Speed Boost is reduced from 70% to 50%
- The Speed Boost effect is reduced from 30% to 20%
- Soundwave now counts for offensive passes
- The speed buff went from 20% to 40%
Developer Comments: The decline on The Soundwave of Lúcio is an excellent tool to push the enemies in situations that will kill them. They should therefore be rewarded with offensive help. Lúcio's ability to increase his teammate's speed was too much, especially when used on high-level / high-end heroes. We reduce the overall power of Lúcio Speed Boost, but by increasing the speed bonus he gets by using Wall Ride, his mobility is not affected too much.
Fan the hammer
- Damage reduced from 55 to 50
- The damage per second went from 275 to 550 after locking the targets for 1.5 seconds.
Developer Comments: After reducing the effectiveness of armor for all heroes, Fan the Hammer does not need to do so much damage. Increasing the damage of Deadeye after being locked for a while makes it more effective for attacking high health goals, static targets (like gates), and heroes with over 250 health. This will not affect the danger this poses to healthy heroes under 250 years old.
- Heals received after dealing damage reduced by 50% to 40%
Developer Comments: A recent change that increased Reaper's healing while dealing damage was a bit too much, sometimes giving his opponents the feeling that Reaper was unstoppable.
- Alternative fire explosion radius reduced by 2 meters – 3 meters to 1 meter – 2 meters depending on the energy level
Developer Comments: Zarya's damage increases dramatically at high energy, while increasing beam size and blast radius. This often allowed Zarya to inflict too much damage and made almost impossible the explosions of the replacement fire on his particle gun. This change will still cause Zarya to inflict a lot of damage, but will make it more difficult to apply the damage.
Orb of Destruction
- Damage increased from 46 to 48
Orb of contention
- Reduced effect from 30% to 25%
Developer Comments: Zenyatta's Orb of Discord makes it an almost irreplaceable support hero in your team. We are reducing its impact on the Zenyatta team, but we are increasing the power of the Orb of Destruction to compensate for its lesser effect.
- Fixed a bug that prevented D.Va from being pushed correctly by Doomfist Rocket Punch
- Fixed a bug where the use of Lúcio's Emote Dance Party was planting everyone outside the game.
- Fixed a bug where Lúcio's Speed Boost song significantly affected D.Va when using Boosters or Mercy when using Valkyrie
- Fixed a bug where Mercy's speed was not reduced during resurrection when using Valkyrie
- Fixed a bug preventing Orisa from being properly pushed by Doomfist Rocket Punch