We expect that Apple will unveil a brand new iPhone in less than. And yet, oddly enough, a lot of rumors – and almost all the most exciting rumors – about future Apple phones do not relate to this particular model, which should call the iPhone 11. On the contrary, most really cool things are planned to start on the next iPhone, which will probably not be introduced until September 2020.
So, what exactly are we getting this year?
According to a series of reports released in recent months, which range from authoritative sources, such as analysts Bloomberg and Apple at Ming-Chi Kuo, to leaks on Twitter and rumors on the sidelines, the iPhone 2019 will probably look a lot like 2018. iPhone Not exactly the same. But quite similar.
Which means that Apple will try to enthrall us for many incremental upgrades: more advanced cameras, faster chips, the next version of the operating system (that is to say) and maybe new colors (including dark green). And yet, the flagship iPhone 11 will probably cost as much as the iPhone XS, with a starting price of around $ 1,000. (Note that this is only conjecture, the company did not respond to our request for comment.)
Read more: iPhone 11: 8 features that I really do not want
Meanwhile, with Apple playing security this year,, and continues to offer attractive phones with innovative features – phones often much cheaper than the iPhone – paving the way for the next generation of mobile technology. Sure, have been more successful . But Apple's executives were undoubtedly attentive when . (Perhaps they were encouraged by the media response, mainly focused on – .)
Read more: iPhone 11 in Español
Still, you can never rely on Apple. Despite, and , the iPhone remains . The company could still surprise us this fall with revolutionary features or a distinctive aesthetic.
While we are counting on the weeks leading up to the debut of the iPhone 11, we will continue to collect the most credible and interesting rumors about the specifications, features and pricing of the next models. So, come back often.
Rumor: Three new iPhones coming on September 10
True to tradition, Apple intends to launch three new iPhone models this fall, according to the Wall Street Journal. They should include a "budget" succeeding the, a flagship mid-range product like the iPhone XS and a Supersize model in the spirit of .
Apple generally announces new phones in mid-September and this year. A new report from iHelpBR (via MacRumors) reveals that the latest iOS 13 beta code includes an iPhone calendar screen capture indicating this particular date, echoing a similar image found before the launch date from last year.
In 2018,and released the first two, the iPhone XS and XS Max, on Friday, September 21, with the October 26th.
Rumor: The iPhone 11 Pro, the iPhone 11R and the iPhone 11 Max
The consensus is that Apple will call its next flagship product, the iPhone 11, and this part seems to be a no-brainer. But regarding the names of particular models, all bets are open. The company has traditionally reserved the "Pro" designation for its high-end products: the MacBook Pro laptop, the iPad Pro tablet,and, perhaps from 2019, its most premium iPhone.
The anonymous Twitter account that properly leaked The names of the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR from last year indicate that the next high end iPhone will call the iPhone 11 Pro, according to MacRumors. But I've also seen variants of names like the iPhone 11R and 11 Max, by the way. As Jessica Dolcourt of CNET pointed out, the because there is no obvious consistent sequence with the iPhone XS, XS Max and XR.
Rumor: Three cameras facing the back for the 2019 iPhone
The biggest change coming on the iPhone this year will probably be the configuration of the camera.We heard that Apple would give at least one of the 2019 models – and perhaps the one called iPhone 11 Pro – with three rear-facing lenses (source: Bloomberg). And, in addition to keeping Apple in the goal and megapixel arms race with Huawei, Samsung and Google, the new network will give the iPhone 11 a greater wide-angle shooting capability.
Bloomberg reports reinforce the leaks of two savvy Twitter users. Back in January OnLeaks and Ice Universe Displays renderings showing an alleged prototype with three cameras in a triangular configuration, plus a flash, housed in a large square module. And at this point, we've seen enough renderings to make sure that this quadruple three-camera network – similar to the configuration of – is the real deal.
Rumor: Apple could finally abandon 3D Touch in 2019
Ming-Chi Kuo continues toand the Wall Street Journal reported on the disappearance of Apple's pressure-sensitive interface in January. After visiting Apple suppliers in Asia, Barclay analysts (quoted by MacRumors) seem confident that Apple will say goodbye to the functionality of the 2019 lineup for iPhone. But the touch interface will not disappear completely: Apple would have developed a new Taptic Engine, called haptic code, which will continue the evolution of the company 's technology, Haptic Touch, tested last year. .
Rumor: bilateral loading on the iPhone 11
Earlier this year,leaving us hanging with to power our iPhones and AirPod. But according to analyst Apple Ming-Chi Kuo (according to 9to5Mac). This means that you will be able to use your iPhone's battery to share juice with other iPhones or the with the case of wireless charging.
If this is true, Apple will again catch up with Samsung, whose, released in March, can charge other devices, including those from the company and via the wireless Qi standard. (The new Galaxy Note 10 also supports this feature, which Samsung calls Wireless PowerShare.)
Kuo and DigiTimes (via MacRumors) also predicted that each of the 2019 iPhones will have larger batteries than their predecessors – estimates range from 2% to 20%, depending on the model – which will likely result in longer battery life. And that says a lot: during our video playback battery test, the iPhone XR lasted more than 19 hours and the iPhone XS Max held more than 17 hours and 23 minutes. But the iPhone XS only worked 13 hours 30 minutes, which leaves a lot to improve on the flagship models.
Rumor: Apple will offer another LCD iPhone in 2019
Of the three Apple phones marketed in 2018, only the iPhone XR has an LCD screen. Both high-end models, the iPhone XS and XS Max, both feature high-resolution OLED panels that produce brighter colors and images.Apple is likely to follow this formula again with the next batch of iPhones.
Like many promising features of the next generation, Apple would wait until 2020 to incorporate the most expensive OLED panels to its entire range, according to the Wall Street Journal. DigiTimes announced that the three 2020 OLED phones will be about the same size as the current generation of iPhones, with models of 5.4, 6.1 and 6.7 inches.
(Note that, aside from, no credible rumors about any collapsible iPhone projects for 2019 or 2020.)
Rumor: the A13 processor will power the iPhone 11
the. According to analyst Ben Thompson, the processor is "so far ahead of the box that it will always be competitive with the best Android phones in two years and massively more powerful than low-end phones."
Apple does not seem to rest on its laurels – at least in the processors department. A Bloomberg article from May reported thatnext-generation processors are expected to power the next series of phones. This could be a variant of which is currently used in – or a new chip, .
Almost definitive: the iPhone 2019 will not support the 5G
The latest Apple phones all use modems built by Intel, which had planned to have a 5G modem ready for commercial devices in the second half of 2019. But Intel had problems producing the 5G chip for iPhone – problems so serious that itafter Apple and Qualcomm . Since, for $ 1 billion.
Now that the situation is settled, it seems that Apple is on track for 2020. The analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had predicted that two of the three iPhones 2020 would bebut has since modified this to include the three phones.
Rumor: the iPhone remains expensive in 2019
The iPhone XS and XS Max start at $ 999 and $ 1,099 respectively. CNETin the high-end smartphone market in the past two years, and we expect that Apple, Samsung and others will continue to push the limits of the budget of customers in the near future.
That said, new factors at play this year could change things this year. the, and , could drive up prices. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that Apple had forecast tariffs, according to MacRumors, and would be able to postpone any price increase that would be due to it.
And then there is the fact that, which could also prompt Apple to change things. In reality, and a number of other products in China earlier this year. Following a previous one in 2018, when Apple to customers around the world who traded in an old when upgrading to a or .
Other rumors about the 2019 iPhone
- A different iPhone for China: Apple could sell an even cheaper version of the iPhone 11 in China – and perhaps also India – by replacing a cheaper integrated fingerprint scanner with Face ID, according to an article in the newspaper Chinese Global Times. Ming-Chi Kuo also suggested that the next Chinese version of the iPhone XS tracking could support dual nano-SIM, as reported by MacRumors.
- New design details: Zhihu, Slashleaks and MacRumors have all published the transcript of an interview with an alleged employee of Foxconn, a Chinese facility that makes iPhones, claiming that the iPhone 11 will be available in black, white, gold and dark green – and that the word "iPhone" will no longer be printed on the back of the phone.
- New silent button: In addition to the redesigned rear camera, the iPhone 11 should closely resemble , with a virtually identical steel and glass design and notches, collars, connectors and similar buttons. One of the few departures we have heard of is a muted button on the side of the phone. According to OnLeaks releases on CashKaro, a smaller circular button will replace the pill-shaped elongated sliding button of the current model.
- Switch to USB-C: Apple has now replaced its exclusive Lightning connector with USB-C on the last , and and Bloomberg reports that Apple "tests" USB-C on some prototypes of iPhones.
- Pencil stand: Citi Research, a subsidiary of the bank, announced the possibility that the iPhone 2019 will take over the , according to Business Insider.
All the rumors about the iPhone in 2020 … and beyond
- Apple could launch three OLED phones in 2020: a smaller model of 5.4 inches that would replace the current model of 5.8 inches, the same option of 6.1 inches as the XR and a larger version of 6.7 inches , according to MacRumors and .
- Bloomberg announced that Apple's upcoming 3D camera, planned for the 2020 models, will drive an updated version of Face ID, which will expand the range of technologies, improve security and enable new RA capabilities.
- According to Bloomberg, Apple would work on a new way to create an interface between users and future editions of the iPhone. The "touchless gesture control" will allow users to interact with the phone without touching the screen. Although it's not planned for 2020 or later, it seems like it might be cool.
- Apple's 2020 iPhones could have or a fingerprint sensor under display.
- Starting in 2020, the company will stop using Intel chips in its Macs for the benefit of custom ARM processors. This will , starting in 2021, which will run under Apple's different operating systems on iPhone, iPad and Mac, according to Bloomberg and Axios.
- TMSC, the company that designs the Apple A Series mobile chips for the iPhone, has announced the completion of the design of its 5-nanometer chip. According to MacRumors, it is likely that this will become the basis of the A14 chip that will apparently power iPhones 2020.
- Although Apple has , this product is at least a year – if not more. According to UBS analysts (via CNBC), we could see a folding iPhone – or an iPad – in 2020, but "2021 is more likely".
- Also coming in 2021: Apple will add a built-in fingerprint sensor to the iPhone, according to Ming-Chi Kuo (and reported by MacRumors).