Two Fargo women hospitalized, one in a coma – the father blames a weed & # 39;


Sierra Brown, 19, of Fargo, said she was suffering from numbness in her leg and that she was unable to walk until she was brought to the gym. Sanford Medical Center emergency on Sunday, June 9th.

The other woman, also 19 years old, was taken to hospital by ambulance after being deemed insensitive by family members.

The next day, in the hospital, with his father, Randall Brown, Sierra Brown expresses concern for the other woman and describes her as a childhood friend, become a girlfriend.

"All they can tell me, is that she's in a coma and she's fighting for her life," she said.

The other woman's parents asked that their daughter's name not be used and did not want to comment on this story.

Randall Brown called the situation "terrible".

"By the time I arrived at the hospital, the police were on site and the situation was rather unrestrained at the time," he said. "They had no idea what they were up against."

Early Monday morning, he published an article about the incident on Facebook, saying that teens, young adults and parents should be vigilant in case there is more "weed" on the streets.

Tuesday evening, June 11, the Fargo police had issued no warning.

A spokesman for the police will only say that at 5:28 pm. On Sunday, June 9, officers responded to a request for medical assistance in block 1000 of Third Street North. They found a 19-year-old woman who did not breathe but breathed and was taken to the hospital.

The police refused to disclose further information, but said the case was still under investigation.

Randall Brown said that, based on the symptoms of the two women, the doctors told him that marijuana could be contaminated with poison or a rat insecticide, possibly to mask the odor during transport, or that she contained a synthetic drug.

Dr. Heidi Lako-Adamson, Health Manager at Fargo Cass Public Health, said some synthetic drugs are cut or mixed with toxic chemicals, such as rat poison, to make the "high" last longer.

"It's very dangerous, especially with the type of marijuana that kids and adults use nowadays," she said.

Sierra Brown said she bought Fargo marijuana on Saturday, June 8, from a person she knew well, and then went to her girlfriend's home.

The two women and another friend smoked a joint, watched Netflix and fell asleep, she said.

Brown said that when she woke up the next morning, she felt no sensation in her right leg. She thought that she had slept badly and fell asleep to wake up around 2 pm with his leg still numb.

At the same time, Brown could not wake her friend, but she was not too worried because she was sleeping heavily.

A few hours after arriving at the hospital, she received a call telling her that her friend was not answering and that she was being taken there by ambulance.

Randall Brown said the doctors told him that his daughter had dangerously high levels of creatine kinase, or CK, in her system. CK is a type of protein that muscle cells need to function.

"The levels of these girls in their systems were out of the ordinary. They had never seen it, "Randall Brown said.

He stated that his daughter had been diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis.

Dr. Lako-Adamson said that this disease causes muscle breakdown caused by a number of medical problems, including a heart attack, sepsis, a virus or the ingestion of a toxin. This can lead to kidney failure, neurological problems, loss of limb and death.

Randall Brown said he was told that CK levels were generally around 100, that his daughter was 26,000 at the time of her arrival, and that her friend's was even higher.

He added that his daughter's friend had taken the first shot in the joint that night, followed by her daughter and the third friend, who had not suffered any adverse effects.

"I do not know if it makes any sense, but it seems that anything that was activated by the flame and probably burns it very quickly, but they both received a pretty strong dose," he said. declared. his daughter and his girlfriend.

Dr. Lako-Adamson said people are at risk with synthetic drugs or potentially contaminated with toxic chemicals. "We will not know until someone dies or is very sick," she said.

Sierra Brown is expected to leave the hospital this week and will be sent with a walker because of weak legs. She will need a physical therapy to walk normally.

She may also have kidney problems or other illnesses later, according to her father.

He added that his daughter could have a marijuana prescription for medical purposes based on several factors, including post-traumatic stress disorder and anxiety disorder.

Although marijuana for medical purposes was approved by voters in North Dakota in 2016, it has been slow to become available in the state.

Instead of looking for marijuana for medical purposes, her daughter buys marijuana on the street to deal with her health problems, he said.

"It should never have happened," he said.

Randall Brown also thinks that there is probably more contaminated marijuana.

"I do not think this will be the last time we hear about this," he said.


Source link